What's new

Dear Nissan, why only 165bhp???

G

Ger Keane

Ger Keane,

Just remember this, though you might only have 165PS, there's just no match for an RWD car in the track. Look at it this way.

The levin BZR's, DC5's, EK9's are all solid 170+bhp bangers, with one distinct disadvantage...they're fwd. The worse of the lot is the toyota. On paper the Levin is touted to produce 175PS right? big deal,..with a kerb weight of 1.4 tonnes its just haulin excess fat around a track. The honda's..? yeah sure vtec this and that, but seriously, as the fella's needle is racing keenly above the 5000rpm mark to the infinite redline he's already hard on the brakes trying to shift all that weight to get a good cornering speed. Then come you...165PS, 1.3 tonnes RWD...mate you had that pack of rides even before the green light went off man..

The altezza... 200ps detuned 3SGE? with a kerb weight of 1.6 tonnes...its nothing more than a JDM grocery getter. And the altezza's straight 4 is nowhere near the awesome 3SGTE lump.

Take her out on a track and you'll get the pic. :D s15's are perhaps the only car that can give the NSX and RX7 a good run for their money. The ONLY car that really scares me or any s15 driver on the road for the same displacement type is that blasphemous Honda S2000. That crotch rocket is my personal kryptonite on the road. RWD 250PS with VTEC.
sounds like a lot of thought went into that reply, cheers for that makes for interesting reading! would love to take her out on the track but i wouldnt have the balls.
some people keep their savings in the bank i decided to buy an S15 and drive my savings around instead so if i pushed it too much on the track (which i would, its in my nature!) it would be bye bye to all the money i have to my name!!
would like to know exactly what horsepower i am running though because ive a HKS silent Hi power exhaust, HKS induction kit and HKS mani.
though people say you cant get much more than stock power out of the non turbo with mods like that

Reaction score
Hehe, a spec-r vs an s2000 is not fair , the spec-r will wipe the vtec off clean...Its a better comparison with a spec-s IMHO...The ITB's are sick..Tomei makes them...48mm i think are the openings..

Reaction score
Country
Id have to disagree on a a Spec S being faster than a Honda Type R. A DC5 puts out 220 HP and weighs in at 1180KG where as a Spec S is over 1200KG with 160 HP. Straight away youve got a massive power disadvantage when every little counts on NA engines. Also with high RPM cars like the VTEC and my FTO's MIVEC (8250RPM!) you learn to keep the revs in the power band, its a poor driver thats dropping the gears into revs lower than he needs to.

Secondly FWD doesnt mean poor cornering, RWD cars can have massive understeer as well, in fact a good FWD car with LSD can have just as good cornering and exit speeds as a sports RWD car.

My FTO puts out over 200 HP and weighs in under 1170KG. Its got a Viscous LSD and allows me to go full WOT upon hitting the apex of a corner. This is why an LSD is so important on a FWD imo (and why all JDM Honda Integras and Civic Type R's have one).

I must also point out that only a very good or/and experienced driver can make full use of the RWD advantages. Put 2 novice drivers together, one in RWD and the other in FWD and the FWD will run circles round the RWD car due to being able to reach the FWD cars full potential with a lot less experience and skill.

Im not saying a NA S15 cant be good but as a standard model i dont think its had any way the amount of racing potentail put into it compared to a dedicated NA sports range of cars. The thing is though that there is plenty of tuning options still for the SPEC S so could happily be made to be a excellent track car.

Reaction score
Country
what is the weight of those s2000's anyway?
1250KG so pretty much identical to a S15 Sec R. Same HP as well but the lack of torque will be a big disadvantage on corner exit speed for the S2000.

Of course how many Spec R's do you see putting out near the standard HP :D, when S2000's even when modified arent far off the stock 250 HP still.