What's new

S15 spec r/wastegate kit help.

Reaction score
Tipperary,Ireland or the nearest roundabout sidewa
Website
www.cruisearound.ie
Looking for some help people!

A friend of mine has an s15 spec r and I am invlolved in modifying it, he is looking to put a wastegate kit on it.

Enquired with a well know retailer here in Ireland about the price of one etc and he told me that he would have to change the turbo,in-let manifold etc on the car as it is now in order for the wastegate kit to work and also told me the price was ?3,800 for the whole new kit which included new manifold turbo etc.

Does anyone know if this is true,that you would have to change the whole turbo in-let manifold etc?

Also my friend seen one on e-bay and it was just the wastegate kit itself and was only around ?500 delievered and all to your door!

Any help,hints or advice be gratefully appreciated :D

Reaction score
standard turbo's on the S15 have and internal wastegate.

to fit an external one, you could do it 2 ways.....

new turbo, with no wastegate, or, fix shut the internal wastegate. that's the turbo covered...... then you've 2 ways to sort the manifold...... the manifold you need, is the exhaust manifold, you could either get a replacement manifold suited for an external W/g or, weld in a pipe for one to be fitted onto....

personally, i don't really see the point? what're they hopin' to gain from it? i'm assuming it's just because they wanna run a screamer pipe?

Reaction score
I agree with Dazz0i, the S15 has an internal wastegate, it just seems a expensive thing to change when your not going to gain anything out of doing it!! i looked into the screamer pipe option, i think they sound awesome, but, having found out that i need to replace turbo's manifold's etc just to fit one, i decided against it. I personally would advice spending hard earned money on something a bit more beneficial.

:wave:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can't run an external wastegate and screamer pipe unless you replace the entire turbo, mani, and elbow setup. The S15 will run 330bhp on the standard T28BB (320bhp on the T28).

As has been said, use the money to modify to the level required to safely support 330bhp first before worrying about change the turbo.

Reaction score
Tipperary,Ireland or the nearest roundabout sidewa
Website
www.cruisearound.ie
@DazzOi We are twin slivia mat has is the exact same look a like as the one in your sig :D lol

Thanks guys at least ye have explained it in plain english!! Owe ye one lol :D

Have to admit only reason we wanted it for the car was the noise cause another fella we know has on one his s15!!
Only 7 s15's in Ireland :D

Any ideas on other mods?

Reaction score
nicely, it is possible to weld shut the standard waste gate.... but still.... it doesn't enable any benifits.

spend the money on decent suspension, and a fmic. :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Aren't there turbo elbows with a separate pipe for the wastegate which doesn't route back to the exhaust?
Maybe get one of those instead.
Changing the turbo and stuff is pretty expensive and not really worth it unless you want to run more power than the turbo can cope with.

Reaction score
Waste gate noise???? Are you talking about the scream from the screamer pipe? If so... you dont need to change the turbo to an external wastegate one! Companys like night pager, greenline and xs-power sell screamer pipe turbo elbows for T28 turbos... If you do go this route there is a tip... take the turbo off the manifold and put a load of high heat metal putty on the edge of the divider... clamp it on the turbo and let it set... take it off again to make sure it has sealed properly... this way you dont get any blowing!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Another important tip to remember is that to fit a screamer pipe without an external wastegate and turbo upgrade (therefore, just for noise) is totally :ghey:

Reaction score
Another important tip to remember is that to fit a screamer pipe without an external wastegate and turbo upgrade (therefore, just for noise) is totally :ghey:
Its not a :ghey: noise... It jus makes it sound broken! We put one on a mates S13 and it was blowing for ages... then when we finally got it fitting nice and tight... it was off again a day later...