What's new

S15 identity crisis...

J

jhinchy

Hi all,
This is my first post, looks to be a good helpful site.
Im in the market for an s15, just sold my s13 silvia, and i think the only way to go is for an s15.
I looked at a 1999 spec R last night, in the grey colour.
Car was fine, other than a blown turbo gasket, but it didnt have any side skirts, although it did have the rear spoiler. I have never seen a spec R without the skirts, or maybe the early ones didnt have them.

I examined the chassis plate, and the engine code on it was SR20(DE), which aroused my suspiciouns straight away! was this a spec s converted to spec r??
It had the boost gauge on the pillar, but is there any other tell tale signs or differences in spec?

The car was fairly standard, except for a FMIC, forged pistons and steel head gasket, which i thought were a strange first modification, otherwise the car was standard.

It had just passed its nct, and was good value for money.
Advertised at 16000, but have him down to 13500, but im still not happy. Most 1999 spec R's are making ?17000ish
I know if i bought one, id want to add aftermarket lsd, clutch, coilovers, power fc etc, but bring it up to the spec of my old s13. So it probably makes more sense to bring in a modded one from japan.

What do ye think folks? Was i looking at a fake?:confused:

Damn nice car though. It was the first one i drove, and it made my mind up completely for me. s15 is the way forward:thumbs:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
It's probobly a non aero model with the rear wing added afterwards.
If it was an aero, you would see holes where the sideskirst would be.

the aero package included both the wing and sideskirts.
But there is a small possibility that the rear wing could be added as an option from factory without getting the whole aero package. But I have no idea if that was possible.

If you have the chassis number someone on here can easily check how the car left the factory. engine, gearbox, colour and so on.

Could be a converted Spec-S.

C

christopher

Yeah! that's what i'm also afraid of...

better get spec R than spec S converted into turbo...

it makes me queasy just thinking about it...

by the way, spec R is 6 speed too, with SR20DET right? but without aero bodykit

did it include the boost gauge in the pillar?

J

jhinchy

The chassis number is S15011144.

I thought the aero package was the front bumper, spoiler and rear spats. And that all Spec R had the skirts?
There was no sign of the skirts being removed, all paint looked original on the sills, with no holes.:|

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Aero package was side skirts and spoiler only. Front bumper and rear spats were options.

Just checked the chassis. It WAS a Spec S Aero when it left the factory. Its possible the first buyer requested no side skirts, though I'd have though they would have ordered a non-Aero with an optional spoiler. A possibility is that its been accident repaired. You can't rule out anything if its had a conversion. Getting it inspected by an expert should clarify that :)

J

jhinchy

My thoughts confirmed, probably explains why it is so cheap:rolleyes:
Too good to be true. I just done a history check on it, and it turns out that the omsp(open market selling price) is only 6800 euro, this is the price that VRT is calculated on, which means it was registered as a Type S also, even though it just says nissan silvia on the logbook.
If i import a spec R, the registration tax alone will cost me 4000!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Pretty strange specs.
Why would anyone order a S15 aero without the sideskirts and then add the optional aero rear spats? Doesn't make any sense.
And if it did come with the sideskirts, why remove them and fill the holes?
I can only see one reason to remove the sideskirts, and that's for fitting aftermarket ones.

I don't trust that car :no:

Edit:
But you should buy it and give me the rear lights and rear spats for free :D

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I'll take the front bar :D

J

jhinchy

Its probably a spec s with the bits from a crashed spec r bolted on, and the front and sides were damaged. It had engine, box and def a torsen lsd, and it had the boost gauge on the pillar. Or else a stolen spec r with a spec s identity. God only knows. Is there many differences between the 2 specs other than the obvious?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The stut bar in the boot, the Spec-S doesnt have that :no:, if it has one fitted, look for a bar at the head of the gearbox on the underside of the car, the spec-s doesnt have that either (bolts into the chassis legs)

subzero

Reaction score
id leave her .... wasnt originally a turbo so youll never know how well it was looked after....

and your right the vrt on a spec r is 4000 G's ... only paid it myself 3 weeks ago ... Ouch !!!!

J

jhinchy

It didnt have any strut bar in the boot, im assuming this bolts between the two strut top mounts?
@subzero, i think il be leaving it where it is, id never be happy with it knowing its a conversion:down:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I think the strut bar he is talking about goes between the chasis rail at the very back of the boot. Not between the rear strut towers.

D

dns15

and if u take off the rear seats ull see 2 black chasis reinforcements for spec r
4 pot brake
rear boot bar
6 speed gbox
helical lsd
reinforcement bars underneath
boost gauge not temp gauge
if he has done all them onto a spec s he has successfully completed the spec r package

and for question on aero parts
my spec r came without any aero kits
btw that car looks very suspecious, it has end cap and spoiler but not sideskirts which completely ruin the line

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's even more Spec R reinforcing inside, but you can't see it without stripping the interior. Spec Rs with a sunroof are missing a lot of the additional roof reinforcement.