What's new

Changing metal head gasket

Reaction score
Has anyone done this and know roughly how much labour hours is it for a mechanic??

Also where best to get the Turbo gasket from, NIssam main dealer?? are they same as S14?

Reaction score
yea, get gaskets from nissan, they are the best....

Apex performance can supply them too, along with turbo banjo's and locking tabs... :D

Reaction score
yes, they're the same as the S14 ones.... they're still classed under the T28 format.....

i think i paid ?20ish for my turbo to elbow gasket....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
14401-69F28- TURBOCHARGER GASKET KIT
14036-75F00- GASKET - EXHAUST MANIFOLD
2x 14495-17F00- PLATE LOCK

The gasket kit contains EVERY gasket touching the turbo and the banjo washers. The only one which won't fit a T28BB is the turbo oil outlet gasket which is a slightly different size. The kit costs noticeably less than buying the parts separately.

Don't be fooled thinking you'll get a better price for OEM Nissan parts off Apex. If you've got a half decent Nissan parts department, they'll give you a 10% discount for being a member of an owners club. That is the same price Apex pays for them...

S

sillbeers15

If U're changing to Head Metal Gasket, get the head bolt torque setting from the gasket manufacturer. It is b/c the stock head gasket is paper and not metal....the stock torque setting in manual will not be suitable.

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Does most people here change the turbo gasket themselves or do you let the pro to do it? I thinking of doing it myself, but not sure if is as easy as I thought it will be.....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its not difficult, but will take you 6-10 hours the first time... There's a guide in the S14 Useful Threads sticky on SXOC :)

Reaction score
I will definately have a go, I guess the hardest and dangerous bit is to get under the car and undo the the elbow and manifold...

Is there any specified torque setting on how tight each bolt has to be?? or is it just feeling....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Without a ramp or pit, you need to put the front on axle stands. End of story.

Bolt/nut torques are all in the workshop manual :)

Important things are to make sure you fold the tab washers over the turbo nuts AND HAMMER THEM IN TIGHT AGAINST THE NUT WITH A SCREWDRIVER. Also, make sure you check the mani nuts every few days for a week or so after fitting.

My advice for the elbow to turbo is the use COPPER NUTS. I will almost guarantee they won't come loose :)

Finally, take it easy undoing the mani nuts. Soak them in WD40 the night before. If any stud is going to shear, it'll be one of those...