What's new

How hard to get hold of rear bumper?

R

Roma_T

Hi guys,
Yesterday I got rear ended!

Was a knock on effect. A car hit a car which went into me. Luckily I was about to move off so was not on the brakes at the time. It wasn't a high speed accident.

Damage is fairly low on my first look. Although I've not seen it in daylight, I've seen it at a in door car park.

The centre panel/boot is not sitting flush. It seems to have moved backwards/outwards. The plastic bumper clip things under there that hold the bumper there have snapped off, there is some scuffing to the bumper and a bump in it too.

So really hard to tell unless you take a look at it looking for some damage. Although the boot lid is more noticeable when looking at the rear side on. Luckily factory fitted exhaust shield is fine.

Does anyone know what other possible damage could there be under the bumper?

What I am wondering is how hard will it be to get hold of the bumper for the insurance company? There must be companies that can get them in if Nissan say something like 3 months! (Not after an after market replacement)

I'm guessing this will take months and months to be repaired.

I'm more pissed at the fact that I've only driven the car a handfull of times. I was in two minds to take it over the wifes car last night. Looks like I made the wrong choice. :furious:

Last edited:
K

kieran

sorry to hear about this fella, nick was telling me about this this morning!

give me a shout if you need a hand with anything, if you need faster replacement and dont mind second hand therea a few breakers in ireland with s15's. cant remember their names but sure nicely will be along in a mo with their details:thumbs:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It could have bent the chassis stiffner in the boot. I may have also bent you chassis (not likely for a slow speed hit) A good repairer will have no problems fixing this anyway.

Your insurance company / repairer should be able to order it direct from Nissan. In these days of air freight, it shouldn't take any longer than a couple of days to get it from Japan. If it does, ring them youself and see how long it would take you to get it personally. If it is less than the time they say, then let them have it.

M

mitch

I've got a spare standard one if you're interested in a temporary one...if you're in the UK of course :)

Last edited:
R

Roma_T

Hi guys, thanks for the offers of help kieran etc.

Kieran, how long would it take for you to get hold of a bumper? Just as a point of reference for now.

I'm in no rush, the car to the passer by does not look like it has any damage. It won't be driven again until repaired though lol.

If it only takes a little while through nissan then I'm fine to wait TBH. I guess we'll have to see what they say.

Insurance company have given me the option of taking it to an approved repairer or my own garage. I don't know of any decent bodyshops though (north london/east herts), if anyone has any recommendations then let me know. This is the thing. It's such a rare car over here, I'd bet I won't find a garage that has ever worked on one.

I've got to go get myself looked at as I've just go up after a night shift and my shoulder has a little pain in it and my neck feels a bit funny. There was a slight pain before I went to bed.

Yeah the accident was slow speed, but knowing my luck......

P

pablo

ive got a standard one ?30 and its yours +p+P in white will need a respray....just original paint on it

im in the uk

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Insurance advice: never EVER take your car to the approved garage. They know they can get away with murder when it comes to repair quotes. Add at least a third extra over a decent non-approved repairer.

R

Roma_T

Insurance advice: never EVER take your car to the approved garage. They know they can get away with murder when it comes to repair quotes. Add at least a third extra over a decent non-approved repairer.
They gave me the choice of taking it to a repairer I know or they'd send me a list of their own. I opted for my own.

Luckily, a friend knows a repairer that are top quality and do a fair few jap cars. Plus they know S15's :) :thumbs:

Went over there earlier. Workshop is a nice size, a few top motors in there. Given me an estimate. needs a new bumper as it's been dented and there are a few distortions in it. Back panel too and the boot needs re-alligning. Spray the boot and new bumper. Thanks for the offer pablo, will see how the repair shop get on with finding a bumper. I think they'll do alright, they do a fare few jap cars in there.

The labour qoute is just over ?500 so the insurance company will want an engineer to have a look over.

I just want it fixed.

K

kieran

hi roma, id go with the one pablo has for that money, as long as the bumpers in good shape the paint work can be easily sorted by the repairing garage. Hope it works out ok for ya, gimme a shout if you need anything need to speak to you guys about mapping soon, cheers, kieran

R

Roma_T

Try www.littleknocks.com if you're around London. Martin has two S15's of his own and has repaired countless Nissans. He always does a top job for me...
Cheers for that. Will keep them bookmarked. However the garage I'm going to seem pretty competant. Took the S15 in yesterday morning. Had another look around their unit. It's big! and they are aquiring the unit next door too! Quality skylines there. With imported paint. He's given my S15 a once over too. He's also going to sort out the cracked lacquer on the underside of the rear spoiler. A small scratch on the rear of the p/s wing (barely noticeable really, but I see it everytime I wash it lol) a stone chip on the bonnet, and a cracked bit of paint on the rear quarter. all minor things and very very small/hard to notice. But he's gonna sort it out for me. The motor is mint, and I wan tit kept that way. Seems like they are up to the job.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
What colour is your S15?
The body-shop might have a hard time matching the paint of you have a pearl white one. You might need to respray the whole car to make it look good.