What's new

Mints question thread

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lol, well i figured id have a heap of stuff to ask about etc so yeah..

em..

1. What the hell is that little 'cheese grater' looking thing to the left of the steering wheel, next to the pocket?

2. I have no boost gauge... where could i get a pillar pod thing for it?

3. Does all s15's seem really 'rough' on idle..

4. If iv keen giving a bit of death how long should i leave her to cool down for? around 2minutes??

5. Where is the OEM intercooler? Is it located just behind the rad?

That is all.. for now hehe thanks guys im just so excited, i shall try and contain myself.

:smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

P

Paddy

1. What the hell is that little 'cheese grater' looking thing to the left of the steering wheel, next to the pocket?
- grating cheese? or temp sensor for auto aircon - there is a post about it

2. I have no boost gauge... where could i get a pillar pod thing for it?
- has it been removed? do you still have the surround on the a pillar

3. Does all s15's seem really 'rough' on idle..
- mine vibrates a bit... but it varies from car to car - how do you mean rough?

4. If iv keen giving a bit of death how long should i leave her to cool down for? around 2minutes??
:confused:

5. Where is the OEM intercooler? Is it located just behind the rad?
- front passenger side wing, almost directly underneat the headlight

hope it helps :nod:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
That does mate thanks so far,

2. Yes it has been, it looks like they have installed a blitz boost gauge in the center vent along with the temp ones but it dosnt do anything.. ??

3. Well i just mean it sort of sounds like a scooby, gearsticks shakes about a bit and it idles kinda low..

4. Sorry thats my scottish excited / tired interweb talking. What i was meaning was.. If i have been out driving the car for about say 1 hour, and keen going pretty quick in it, How long should i leave the car to cool down before i turn her off? I will get a turbo timer on the next pay day but at the moment i just need to sit with it.

Thanks Paddy ^_^

P

Paddy

2. Yes it has been, it looks like they have installed a blitz boost gauge in the center vent along with the temp ones but it dosnt do anything.. ??
- Is it the only gauge that doesnt work, if it lights up, it might be a loose pipe, if it doesnt light up... poor connection... most likely

3. Well i just mean it sort of sounds like a scooby, gearsticks shakes about a bit and it idles kinda low..
- is this all the time or some of the time? could be a few things, sparks, coils, AFM, Lambda, flooding etc

4. Sorry thats my scottish excited / tired interweb talking. What i was meaning was.. If i have been out driving the car for about say 1 hour, and keen going pretty quick in it, How long should i leave the car to cool down before i turn her off? I will get a turbo timer on the next pay day but at the moment i just need to sit with it.
- what i do is when i get close to where i'm going, i take it handy and go slow:ghey:... when i get there i let the song i'm listing to finish and knock it off

Paddy

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
if uve been boosting hard ur best to leave the engine running for a minute or so. this lets the oil and water flow cool the turbo down & prevents damage

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The idle shouldn't be so that you would comment about it :no:

Don't bother about a TT. Honestly. Just show a small degree of restraint in your final minutes driving. Otherwise, leave her ticking over 1-2 minutes if you've really hammered it. A TT will invalidate your nice new Cobra Thatcham Cat1 approval - on the basis that the car isn't immobilised after the key has left the ignition...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have the countdown timer on my watch set for 2 minutes for cool down. If I am giving it a particularly hard time maybe 3 mins.

G

gunner93

I was told JDM Spec R comes with a tad more aggresive intake cams hence the rough idling. Furthermore if you rid the intake & exhaust restrictions, your SR may need a reflash/retune. I've got Pivot Raizin Red on mine to smoothen the rough idling. :wave:

P

pablo

pull the boost gauge out and redo it. super easy job. neg and positive wires and a tube to a vacumn pipe

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
The idle shouldn't be so that you would comment about it :no:

Don't bother about a TT. Honestly. Just show a small degree of restraint in your final minutes driving. Otherwise, leave her ticking over 1-2 minutes if you've really hammered it. A TT will invalidate your nice new Cobra Thatcham Cat1 approval - on the basis that the car isn't immobilised after the key has left the ignition...
hmm its very rough, its sooo hard to explain, i think i'll record it and upload it, it'l be the only way to describe it tbh..

Yeah i got to work today and was running a bit late and had to sit and wait which didnt help me late'ness lol. ^_^

So i wouldnt mind a TT but not if it valids my Cobra :( i didnt know that dude hmm..

Em yeah, the 3 gauges all light up, one is boost (does nothing) the middle one is 'temp' and its about sorta '7 (i'll check tonight) and the other 'temp' sits about 9 but i dont know which one is water and oil.... lol.

Also my spoiler has developed a wee 'rattle' lol went to tighten the bolts and nout.. so um gonna have to put some seal in it or something, lol i love cars :smitten:issues on day 1 of ownership lmfao!! Trust me..

oh also.. whats the best oil to run with these 15's? and here;s a real noobish question...

Im guessin when people talk about 'strech tyres' it does actually mean just stretchin a tyre to fit a slightly wider wheel yeah?

sorry again.. but like i said, when it comes to Turbo'd RWD Nissans.. i dont really know jack! :annoyed::smitten:

P

pablo

the stretched tyre is as said fitting a smaller tyre to a wider rim. often done to help with any rubbing issues looks and back when tyres were not so hitec too stiffen the sidewall. check pics of 70's f1 cars anything were the sidewall angles away from the rim (inwards) is stretching

over stretching is dangerous (tyre could come off the bead and blow out) some stretch often provides greater feel to the driver. you get less body roll and can be more obvious when it lets go. there is much debate and do's and dont's

small stretches go on fine and certain makes are better at it than others, bigger strectches nead a bead breaker (high pressure inflater for lorry tyres i think) that will explode the wheel on)

go to driftworks and do a search. there are some good reads on the subject

these days - the only benefits are looks(if you like it etc) and rubbing issues. tyres are well developed and there is less need to stretch imo.

stretched tyres also provide less grip than they would on the correct sized wheel

i have a stretch on my front as am still treading gently with my frp arches i didnt know what space i would have

im sure further comments may be added

quote from driftworks

The practical reason for running a stretched tire on a rim is so that the tire wall is ridgid and there for - more responsive when subjected to directional inputs from the driver.

Silly stretch is almost exclusivly for "styling" purposes. However a reasonable amount of stretch can be highly benifical when drifting.

The euro's used to use it for track racing back in the day - as it tire technoligy was not as advanced as it is now and low profile tires were not widley available.

In todays market, there is no practical use for tire stretching in professional motorsport or even in professional drifting as a wide variety of sizes and profiles are available.

However - for budget drifters it still works well, considering that most don't have tire deals and can't be picky about what they can get hold of!!!

comedy !!!!!!!! stretch!!!!!!!! here comes the circus!!!
185 on an 11j wheel!!!!

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you have a rough idle and the boost gauge that doesn't work, look for a vacuum leak. Maybe the two are related. Check the vacuum hose from the boost gauge all the way to the mainfold, maybe there is a hole in the pipe somewhere.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
does the boost gauge move & light up at all? cause if it doesn't then it isn't hooked up or there is no power to it. even with a boost leak of sorts the gauge would register sumting. All boost gauges I've seen calibrate/resets on start up, even the standard s15 gauge does it.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It depends on the boost gauge. Mine is vacuum, so it doesn't move until the engine starts. btw, mine is not a factory gauge. If the vacuum line has come completely off, you will not get any indications just a vacuum leak. The leak will be small enough to let the engine run, but it will run rough.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hmm i wonder if this could be my problem then. think i will spend some time this coming weekend on tracing it back and see what the issues are.

Another minty fresh question..

What kit is this??

and this one?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
wicked good stuff, bn sports it is.. ^_^

Another question, Im missing the plastic cap that covers the front window wiper bolt in the middle, where wud i get one of these from?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
infact iv been looking about things to buy etc, Found a nice ARC I/C but very unsure on what the diff is here....

M073S15F06Nissan - Silvia S15 - Turn Flow - M073 CoreGB £ 386.99GB £ 506.79

M073S15FC06Nissan - Silvia S15 - Cross Flow - M073 CoreGB £ 386.99GB £ 506.79

M073S15FCW06Nissan - Silvia S15 - Cross Flow - M073 Core Wide H300 L600 W70GB £ 574.74GB £ 694.54