What's new

Drifting s15..

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Hey Guys, Well i hope im not going to get slated for posting this up..

Right when i first joined here i got the impression that alot of the members seemed sort of 'against' the idea of drifting and that it certainly wasn't the reason for buying their s15 (By the way im not intending on starting an argument lol)

But something like an s15 to me anyway seems like a good car for drifting? I mean im only going by what iv seen in the D1 and the EDC aswell as a hell of alot of my DVD's iv got at the moment.

So do any of you actually drift with your 15's? Is it really as easy to control it compared to something like an s13 (Im guessing due to the diff?) and what would be the difference between the 15 and 14 for drifting?

I can understand the reason i suppose for not wanting to drift your 15 obviously due to the shear money they cost but i was planning on attending some Drift days etc when i get mine as im really keen for it, although im also very keen on shows such as JAE etc where my car would be up for show (Hence my reason for a 15 > a 14)

Cheers Guys
-Mint :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its not that anyone is against drifting and I certainly wouldn't want to discourage it (in the right place - a track). What I think most people might object to is Fast and Furious types thinking that the only reason for buying an S15 (or S14/S13 for that matter) is to drift it :rolleyes: This goes hand-in-hand with the types who are under the misguided belief that 'everyone has thrown the back end out deliberately on public roads and if they haven't, there's something wrong with them'. Erm. No.

The S15 is one of, if not THE, most perfectly balanced car for drifting. This makes it very predictable. However, even top D1 drivers get it wrong, and when they do, it costs. For a D1 driver, that's not a problem. For your average Joe in the UK, it is. Its for this reason that you don't see many used by up and coming drifters here. There's a big difference between drifting a ?1000 S13 into a wall and doing the same with a ?10000+ S15. Its not just residual value though. Its the cost and availability of replacement panels too...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have attented a couple of drift days, and i know alot of guys on here have and do drift there cars.

As nicely said, its the stigma that comes with the cars, some people think, you own and S15, therefor you drift it.

As for being better than an S13/S14, i couldnt comment, but i know on the stock diff, the S15 is not good fo drifting at all. So if you want to do any serious drifting, you best get that changed 1st :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I would just clarify that the reason that makes the diff rubbish for drifting, makes it fantastic on the track :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I wouldn't say it's rubbish. Maybe not optimal, but no problems getting the rear out.
haven't tried an aftermarket one though, so compared to those it might be rubbish for drifting :)

The Swedish Blitz S15 used the stock diff for the first competitions here while he waited for the delivery of his aftermarket one. Didn't seem to have any problems getting it sideways :)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lol, Thanks for the responses guys.

I can completly understand why there wud be less average joe's drifting these with the Price and like i said i do want to give it a go but i also want to to sorta 'be differant' at a show, local meet etc hence the reason for an s15.

Interesting about the diff tho, i was under the impression it was a good set up for some dori dori.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
but i also want to to sorta 'be differant' at a show, local meet etc hence the reason for an s15.
Your two years to late for that :p

As for the Diff, i too have no problems getting it sideways, its keeping it there thats the problem. A view shared by the drifting comunity, do a search on Driftworks, i'm sure its there, or maybe SXOC. Once the rear is out, applying more power to help keep it there results in more power going to one wheels, acting more like an open diff.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lol i was meaning My own crew meet along with a local tuned forum im a mod/photographer for too lol as i didnt think there were many 15's up here :p

M

mitch

I bought mine fully intending to use it for drifting. I sold my 180Sx for the S15 and still wish I hadn't, because I was getting half decent with the 180 and haven't done so well with the 15, and also wasted most of this season getting it up to standard.

The main reason why I think I haven't done so well is a lack of commitment while drifting, due to being subconciously thinking about where I'll find the parts and money to mend it if I properly smash it up, whereas the 180 wasn't a problem as all of the parts are readily available very cheaply.

I'm aiming once I've had more seat time to be better in the S15 than I was in the 180, but time will tell. I intend to practice as much as possible over the winter and get it all sorted in time for next season. Unless I get an attack of the stupids and sell it. If that happens I'll get another s13 and possibly turn it into a pickup and thrash that on the cheap :D

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Local Tuned Forum? Details please...
www.tunedaberdeen.co.uk

Its the only 'local forum' im a member of as most of the members are into their Jap cars and iv met them heaps an heaps been out drinking with them all too and they are all pretty sound.

Its not that active but the MFC is up an comin y0! :thumbs:

I bought mine fully intending to use it for drifting. I sold my 180Sx for the S15 and still wish I hadn't, because I was getting half decent with the 180 and haven't done so well with the 15, and also wasted most of this season getting it up to standard.

The main reason why I think I haven't done so well is a lack of commitment while drifting, due to being subconciously thinking about where I'll find the parts and money to mend it if I properly smash it up, whereas the 180 wasn't a problem as all of the parts are readily available very cheaply.

I'm aiming once I've had more seat time to be better in the S15 than I was in the 180, but time will tell. I intend to practice as much as possible over the winter and get it all sorted in time for next season. Unless I get an attack of the stupids and sell it. If that happens I'll get another s13 and possibly turn it into a pickup and thrash that on the cheap :D
Ace man! I can understand what u mean about the parts side of the drifting etc, its gone through my head aswell .. hmmm

G

gunner93

I would say the main constraint is financial in my country. The hard cores get sponsors, even that its hard to come by nowadays. Our local drift prince Tengku Djan also started humbly with an AE86 sponsored by R3, the sports arm of Proton. A number of other top drifter get fundings from local tuners/garages. Otherwise, we just have fun as week-end drift warriors. Our local drift club organise it with proper track, training and safety procedures. Sadly, there no big D1 events so far this year.

Reaction score
I attended a drift course at silverstone, the other cars were MX5's they seemed to handle quite well,I found it hard to do at first thought something was wrong with my car so asked an instructor to have a go,he flung it about with no problems and said it was balanced lovely, took me a couple of hours but started to get it in the end.I was weary of over revving it though and causing some damage thats probably the reason I wasn't so good at it.I will have another go soon though,its great fun.:nod:

G

Ger Keane

I attended a drift course at silverstone, the other cars were MX5's they seemed to handle quite well,I found it hard to do at first thought something was wrong with my car so asked an instructor to have a go,he flung it about with no problems and said it was balanced lovely, took me a couple of hours but started to get it in the end.I was weary of over revving it though and causing some damage thats probably the reason I wasn't so good at it.I will have another go soon though,its great fun.:nod:
ya i loved my MX5 but because of the perfect weight ratio the rear wheels wudnt spin on the majority of surfaces so it was hard to get it to 'step out!' its the opposite with the S15!!:)

Reaction score
ya i loved my MX5 but because of the perfect weight ratio the rear wheels wudnt spin on the majority of surfaces so it was hard to get it to 'step out!' its the opposite with the S15!!:)
I agree with that, I found myself facing the wrong way quite often to begin with but once you get it,then its great:nod:. I was using standard S14 wheels on the day so it spun quite easily.