What's new

How to do heel & toe downshifts

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
haha been using this for yrs now its p!ss easy....only works well when ur driving fast ....work really well with high rev car like vtec engines when ur always in vtec.....

its much better for exiting conners and the revs dont go down always in the rev range so u get the power striaght away after changing gears....

next time I will film it when iam doing it lol cuz them pics look crap hahaha

Reaction score
i've been using it for a while now.... and when i done my right ankle in, it felt really weird to drive... although driving was fine, the twisting of my ankle wasn't.... and cause i'd got into such a habbit of doing it.... it felt odd....

it's def' something that's better to learn at a slower pace, cause you don't wanna be dumping it into and corner, only to realise you've not got enough control of the brake to slow efficently.... :)

Reaction score
Skilled drivers can execute a heel-and-toe downshift in less than one second.
You'd hope so too!

For any that read this and find it difficult getting the RPM right. I used to practice years ago by cruising at a constant speed (e.g 50mph) and going up and down the box while keeping the speed steady and constant (don't try reverse or 1st unless its a hire car though...lol)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Practice make prefect, i drive my everyday car (Ford Focus) hard, and heel-and-toe on every downshift, its much smoother and as i'm using mostly high revs its easier to match, just a quick blip will get the rev's up.

Traveling slower it is harder, as its very easy to apply the same pressure to blip the throttle as when going fast, however this will throw the rev's up to high and cause the car to jurk forward, having the opposite effect to non-heel-and-toe shifts.

Also, when on the limit in a RWD car (especially with an afermarket LSD - 1.5/2way) heel-and-toe shifts are a must, as the rears can lock with the sudden release of the clutch sending the back end out while trying to get the corner apex. Good for drifters, but not so good if your trying to get a good time on a track.

A

auxoura

Not to forget at low revs the revs rises slower than on high revs....

Well maybe its just my car.....lags....stupid car...