What's new

Hi Guys. Two Questions

S

seraphy

Hi Guys :thumbs:
My name is Mark. I am considerng to buy a S15, but... please don't laugh at me:eek: ... but not Spec-R, I want a Spec-A, the NA one (SR20DE?)
This is because my age and buying insurance.

I want to ask that:
1.)I am looking for a S15 Spec-A, which is a standard mechanical (or slightly modified) and good (or average) condition. How much would it cost? (P.S Currency doesn't matter:D , but I live in England)

2.)About insurance, I am 22, just get the liscence, How much would it cost?

Thanks a lot :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi Mark - welcome to S15OC :wave:

Don't worry about newbie questions - we've all been there at some point (except Nicely cos he was like born in an S15 kind of??)...

Anyway, first off the NA version of the S15 is called the Spec-S. Don't know where you got Spec-A from but this does not exist. SR20DE is the Spec-S :nod:

I'm not clued up on prices for the Spec-S these days but I'm sure someone will answer quickly for you on that one. Blinx has a nice yellow Spec-S so have a look in the member's cars gallery for some more info.

Insurance is a real difficult one. All dependant on where you live, your job, NCB, previous accidents, points on license etc etc... However, you said you've only just passed and my guess would be it will be very expensive if you've got 0 NCB to go on. Might have to use your folks to get you on the insurance until you're older?

Good luck and hope you get your Spec-S and please don't feel embarrased - we love all S15's... even the Varietta lol :rotfl:

James

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Hey they & welcome :wave:. We all have to start somewhere and its not always possible to get the car you want from the start. so going for the next best thing is not a bad idea. I was initally gona get a Spec S also but then after a bita research & lots of helpful info from the guys on here I settled for a Spec R :cool:.
It may be difficult to come accross a Spec S. A lot of importers only take in the Spec R. Ask on here about any importers selling cars as there are a couple of dodgy places about and the lads here will help you steer clear.
Quick scan of autotrader only pulled up this:

01, 51 reg. 26000 Miles, fsh, ABS, AC, Alloys, EW, H/Seats, Leather seats, PAS, RCL, rad/CD, THIS CAR IS A ONE OFF SUPERB EXAMPLE. usual dealer facilities. ?7,995.
Its the varietta which comes with the SR20DE engine but puts out 200Bhp compared to the usual 165Bhp. May be thought a little :ghey: by some members but each to there own. Very rare, just check that its legal ( not sure bout model report for registering '01 ) If this don't take ur fancy just keep an eye out:thumbs:
As for insurance, god only knows. Most companies pick a number in their head & multiply it by 5. Its werid. I was qouted ?200 less on a Spec R than a Spec S from the same company :wack: :confused:. I use Quinn direct but Adrian Flux and Sky seem to come highly recommended on here.
Anyway need to take a breath of air now as its turning into a bit of a :rant:.
Good luck:cool:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
well basicly I didn't think insurance was gona be realistic and for my 1st rwd car I reckoned less power would be better. However after checkin insurance ( cheaper ?200 :eek: ) and comparing the 2 models eg brakes, suspension, power etc it was an obvious choice. Very little difference in fuel consumption which is pleasent surprise also.

M

mitch

My insurance was no different between a Spec S and Spec R. I bought a Spec S and it wasn't a bad car at all, just not enough power for what I wanted as it was NA. And auto, but it's neither now :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
if u check up on autotrader there is a S15 spec S on the market for believe it or not ?3995 yeh thats what i thought....
go have a look oh and welcome

G

gunner93

I have a friend with Spec S auto and its a cool & easy drive as well. But to experience the soul of the S15, Spec R manual is the way to go.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
no it comes with a 5 speed manual box aswell. Didn't see this 1 as i set lower limit at ?5K to cut out the crap! Seems cheap tho, maybe too cheap:confused:

S

seraphy

Thanks a lot guys, you all are helpful:thumbs:

So Can I say that the biggest differents between spec-R and spec-S are the turbo engine (of course include the cooling system, like the intercooler) and the 6 speed manual gearbox?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thanks a lot guys, you all are helpful:thumbs:

So Can I say that the biggest differents between spec-R and spec-S are the turbo engine (of course include the cooling system, like the intercooler) and the 6 speed manual gearbox?
The Spec-R also has a helical diff and stiffer chassis.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
they are 2 totally different cars, but that is not saying that the Spec S is not gud, just not as gud as a Spec R... obviously :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The only Spec S you could import fresh is the 5MT. There is no model report for the 4AT Spec S. Unless it was imported before July 2004....

The Varietta shares the same SR20DE tune as the Spec S. The Autech is the one with the 200bhp tune.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its got a smaller booster too :nod:

The Autech is basically a Spec R but with the high-tune SR20DE instead of an SR20DET. :)