Standard air-box for S15

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hello peeps :wave:

I'm looking at removing the Blitz SUS Power induction kit and going back to the standard air-box setup for the S15.

Can I check with you guys (and gals Kimi ;)) what are all the bits and pieces I need to get the whole setup back to standard?

I assume there is more to this than just 'a box'?? The only remaining bit I currently have is the flat shaped pipe that feeds air from the gap at the front and bends it into the air-box area - hope you understand what I mean?!

*Also, if you know of anyone selling one second hand then please let me know... :thumbs:

Cheers,

James

D

Derek

I have standard Airbox that i don't need. A Standard Air box with a perfermance filter inside is just as effective.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
So long as you take the stupidly restrictive elbow feed off... :nod:

Plus, a Blitz SUS filter has similar filtering ability as one of these:

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
The only remaining bit I currently have is the flat shaped pipe that feeds air from the gap at the front and bends it into the air-box area - hope you understand what I mean?!
James
:D sorry to thread hi -jack but if anyone has the above cold air feed,
they no longer need please let me know :thumbs:
As i'm looking for one :nod:

As for the Blitz sus power induction kit, i had one of these on the Yaris
before my Apexi, After 6 months of use i wiped a clean white rag around the inside of it and there wasnt 1 bit of dirt on it.
You'll no doubt have read the Filter test that is widley available on the web,that says the Blitz & the HKS is awfull for filtration.
The said test was carreid out by someone for Apexi :wack:
When our company was Ralliart UK we carried out the same tests but didnot get the same results;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Derek - PM sent to ya mate!

Thanks for the replies - yes I'm getting a bit worried about the SUS Power because I've heard not so good stories about metal gauze type air filters etc.

Added to this, I had a chat with my trusty mechanic today who agreed that these aftermarket filters let in all sorts of crap which will eventually wear out engine internals and probably have a good go at sanding down the turbo as well.

It's all down to personal opinion but I'm sticking with the standard air-box for now cos I also don't want heak soak into the induction air.

G

gunner93

Added to this, I had a chat with my trusty mechanic today who agreed that these aftermarket filters let in all sorts of crap which will eventually wear out engine internals and probably have a good go at sanding down the turbo as well.

It's all down to personal opinion but I'm sticking with the standard air-box for now cos I also don't want heak soak into the induction air.
I've heard those on sponge filters have higher than normal silicon ppm in their oil analysis. Therefore its advisable to replace engine oil religiously.

You can see cold air feed to stock air box DIY here :

http://gunner93.multiply.com/photos/album/26/DIY_Cold_Air_Feed

Hope this helps.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The fact that the inside of the filter showed no dirt means nothing, other than, perhaps, all the crap is passing straight through. A filter made from wire mesh isn't going to stop ultra-fine particles - especially when the air is being forcibly sucked through :no: Yes, they look and sound fantastic, but its going to be very difficult to beat the filtration properties of a paper filter. The same goes for the sponge type filters. Personally, I'd rather lose a tiny amount of power from increased filtration than run the risk of damaging the turbo.

That test may have been carried-out by A'PEXi, but the testing method was very simple and sound.

Anywho, the Nissan air box is just a efficient as a suction style filter, so long as you remove that elbow and stick a performance filter in.

Kimi, you should get the same air scoop off any S14 breaker :)

Reaction score
Country
^^ I can't agree more. I dont see how a mesh type filter can match sponge/paper filtration in anyway possible. I wouldn't want sand to go down my engine thats for sure.

Are you sure you want to go back to the stock induction? After changing to a trust airinx, I wouldn't be going back to the stock induction. Just aint happening. Revs are certainly climbing effortlessly and doesnt feel that restraint on high revs compared to having the stock induction

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As I said, without the elbow the airbox is quite efficient. I ran it for quite a while on the S14 before changing to an A'PEXi due to space reasons.

Reaction score
Country
I have the BMC CDA enclosed carbon filter in my FTO and noticed quite a difference in performance. Basically the filter is fed with a cold air feed so no 'hot' air from the engine bay was being passed to the filter, also it gains a 'RAM' effect from air being forced down the feed pipe when driving. Lost quite a bit of the induction roar but the performance increase more than offset this and being a decent paper style filter the filtration is good.

As said, unless you can box off the area where an aftermarket filter lies and give it a good cold air feed you loose any benfit of a less restrictive induction filter but with the higher risk of contaniments being passed through.

S

SX2002

Buy a K&N!!
And the pod is better than the panel one....if you read the specs on the box it's quite clear. My K&N pod sucks air at 880 CFM. (Gain, 13kW ATW..17.4 HP) I can't remember the spec of the panel one, but it was considerably less.
A paper type panel filter (stock) is only about 500 or less CFM.
Also, if you read any articles comparing filters, the worse ones are the foam/oil type...too restrictive.
I've used K&N for 20 years and never had a problem...visit any racing circuit, drag strip or hill climb and see what they're using....nearly 100% K&N, says something!

Last edited:
G

gunner93

I have seen some turbo cars remove filter, AFM and piping all together. The turbo sucks air directly though its housing funnel! I cant imagine how the turbine will last long on these cars.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Usually its either show car where they put a shiny bellmouth or they dont really care bout their car. My friend's dedicated drag car only had a diy wire mesh. If the engine is killed by anything smaller such as sand, he will just rebuild it. lol

A

Autech_NZ

I have just had a custom fully enclosed airbox made up for my apexi pod filter
to separate the cold intake air from the warm engine air. it only cost me a couple of hundred NZ dollars so you should ask around there to see if someone can make you one up.

G

gunner93

I have just had a custom fully enclosed airbox made up for my apexi pod filter
to separate the cold intake air from the warm engine air. it only cost me a couple of hundred NZ dollars so you should ask around there to see if someone can make you one up.
Hi Autech,

Can you post some pics please? Thanks.