What's new

Nissan S15 Silvia is D1 Grand Prix All Time Winning Car

D

Derek

Found an article. Said i'd share it.

The Nissan S15 Silvia has won more D1 Grand Prix Events than any other drift car with a total of 19 wins! The Silvia model is known for having excellent weight distribution, rear wheel drive, LSD (a more effective helical limited slip unit to be exact), the turbo SR20DET engine, and nice suspension setup. All of these components together make the S15 Silvia a drift ready car from the Nissan factory.

In 1999, Japan saw a new version of the Nissan S15 Silvia now boasting 250 horsepower (184 kW) from its SR20DET engine, thanks to a turbocharger upgrade, as well as improved engine management. The SR20DE (non-turbo motor) only has 165 horsepower (121 kW).

The S15 Silvia includes aggressive styling inside and out, an upgraded chassis and suspension, including increased use of light alloy suspension components, and for the first time, a six-speed manual transmission (in addition to a 5-speed manual transmission and a four-speed automatic). Also for the first time, instead of a viscous limited slip differential, the S15 offered a more effective helical limited slip unit.

For the S15 Silvia, the model lineup was initially simplified to just the Spec-S (non-turbo) and Spec-R (turbo), both models offering an ?Aero? variant with a large rear wing and mild ground effects. The Spec-R featured the available 6-speed manual transmission, increased body and suspension rigidity, big 4-piston front brake calipers, a larger brake power booster, upgraded helical limited slip differential, and HICAS (High Capacity Active Steering) four wheel steering as an option; the Spec-S featured only a 5-speed manual transmission (in addition to a 4-speed automatic available on both the Spec-S and the Spec-R), lacks the additional support structures of the Spec-R, 2-piston front brake calipers, a slightly smaller brake power booster, and the viscous limited slip differential.

The line was later expanded to include various luxury and upgrade option packages for both the Spec-S and Spec-R. Autech, Nissan?s special-car division, also offered several tuned versions of the S15. One with body and interior trim modeled after the Ferrari 456, called the style-A, available in both Spec-S and Spec-R based trims, and a second tuned version was based of the Spec-S trim level with the engine output increased to 200 hp through the use of increased compression, more aggressive camshafts, and free-breathing intake and exhaust tracts, along with ECU tuning and upgrades to the chassis and suspension. This version also included the 6-speed transmission and other upgrades normally found only in the Spec-R.

There was also a convertible variant of the Silvia, called the Varietta, featuring a folding retractable hardtop. The Varietta was built by Autech and was based off of the Spec-S model, featuring the same naturally aspirated engine, with a choice of the 4-speed automatic transmission or the 5-speed manual transmission.

Production of the Silvia ended in August of 2002 amidst Nissan?s efforts to reduce its many platforms. Nissan?s sole sports car platform in the world is now the FM Platform, which underpins the current Fairlady Z and Skyline - marketed in the United States as the 350Z and Infiniti G35.

R

Roma_T

There was also a convertible variant of the Silvia, called the Varietta, featuring a folding retractable hardtop. The Varietta was built by Autech and was based off of the Spec-S model, featuring the same naturally aspirated engine, with a choice of the 4-speed automatic transmission or the 5-speed manual transmission.
I actually saw one of those Varietta's! Was in North London on Saturday Morning and a red one drove past me. I thought I was seeing things lol. Now I know I was not pmsl.

G

gunner93

Yea, it didnt mention Ghosn brought a sad end to the S chassis in 2002.