What's new

Sourcing a car from Japan.

A

AgtX

Ive not had much luck finding an S15, the ones i like get snapped up before i can get it.

Torque GT source cars from Japan, is this a good idea or is it risky? I know it would take a while to get here and everything but if its safe it might be worth it to get a car thats just what i want.

Anyone taken this route to get their S15?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If Torque do it, you should be fine. You should have the chance to reject it when it arrives if its not right.

A

AgtX

Its a nice car but with 77000 miles on it, too expensive. I see generally 1999 ones with 50000 for around ?10000 and this is newer and not a dealer. ?10k is my budget anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Charlie @ prodrift is currently trying to source me one from the auctions in Japan. I think you will need to be very patient waiting for the right one to come up...something im finding very hard to do :rolleyes: :)

I reckon 10k is going to be the minimum you will need to get a decent S15, ive budgeted upt to 12k which should hopefully be more than enough.

A

AgtX

Torque GT seem to value theirs at between 9995 and 11995. The guy said it would work out cheaper by sourcing one, so for ?10000 i should get a nice one. He said id get it cheaper than the ones they put in their showroom.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I'm currently dealing with Torque-GT:notworthy::nod:. After careful research and a lot of good recomendations from nicely and other members on this forum I decided they were the best. :thumbs:Also they are BIMTA certified so you have some come back if anything goes wrong.

Tristan & Mike have been very helpful and patient. Mike has been sending me updates daily on new cars coming up at the auctions. Both he and Tristan seem confident that for ?10,000 they can get me a good S15.:D
The only problem is that I want every1 he shows me, they are all so nice:notworthy:

A

AgtX

Well im on the verge of doing the same as you m8. If the 1st one they show me is just what i want and they checked it over and gave it the thumbs up, id go for it.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
patience is the key m8. I give Mike a rough spec and a few pics of what I was looking and every car he shows me gets better and better. I nearly have to tie myself down to stop goin after all of them. Its hard but just remember don't let your heart rule your head.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
A friend of mine whos had 2 AE86 Corollas imported knows the guy who owns this place and said i should go through that company instead
http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/

Use their site regularly to see current pricing of cars in Japan :thumbs:
However, I don't think they offer the full service like Torque who imports the car and do the UK stuff too.

A

AgtX

They check it, unregister it in Japan, set it up for the UK, derestrict it etc and send it on the boat, you have to pick it up at the dock or get a company to do it for you and get it registered.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
yes but if the car comes in with any aftermarket parts eg bodykit, exhaust etc, it will be up to you to source origional parts for the ESVA test.

I think by UK setup they only mean rear fog and MPH conversion. This is why I'm using Torque-GT. It is too much hassel to get the S15 through the ESVA on your own. There are plenty of AE86 corollas in the country and as they are over 10yrs old they don't require an ESVA test. The S15 will require the test and for it you will have to source standard parts. Also, I found that most of the companies who do the ESVA testing don't like you to have the car prepared by someone else:no:.