What's new

I need some importing advice please (Northern Ireland)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I am in N.Ireland and have been looking at jap imports for a while now. just sold my civic coupe and am stuck in a crappy frog
xsara till i get it sorted.
Anyway I'm looking at a 2002 s15 spec s ( I know its not a spec r but can't yet afford 1 ). An importer in dublin has the car and as i'm taking it up north I don't pay VRT so save bout 5000euro
however as the Rep Ireland doesn't require SVA i have to do this myself
and nowhere in N.Ireland does it so it is impossible to get info bout it.
Was hoping that you might be able to tell me a bit about it, ie prices, hidden costs, best company to use etc. The car is totally standard so should only need speedo and fogs sort'd (hopefully)
cheers guys
hope to hear back from u soon.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

I'm sure our Irish friends will post up :) I've added a hint for them in the thread title :p

Reaction score
Country
Doesnt NI have its own DVLA...DVNI or something ? I would have thought the car would need a SVA test the same as anywhere in the UK ?

I think the only way around that would be to have the car registered in Ireland ?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It still would need an ESVA. If you moved to Ireland for six months, you could bring it in as a personal import. This would only require an SVA test (and all your taxes).

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
There are no esva centres in N.Ireland so have ro go to uk mainland or scotland :confused:. Trying to find a company that will do the test on a Spec S car . not sure who has a model report (if anyone at all has one that is). If there is anyone who has imported a Spec S car and could tell me where & how they got it tested I would very much appreciate it cause is wrecking my head :annoyed:. Since finding the car I am in love :smitten: but all the government crap makes me :hurl: sick and if I don't get it sorted soon I may have to revert to the previous plan of an s14A ;)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is a model report for the Spec S. I believe Pro Drift commissioned it(?). Are you wanting to import yourself? If so, its going to take you several months from auction to road. It may be simpler in your circumstances to get one through one of the recommended importers on here. Pro Drift is one of those.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
what is the website for pro drift? i have a totally standard car already in Ireland that I have my eye on and would prefer to get as I won't have to wait for it to arrive from japan:yawn:.
Is there anyway to get use of their report to get my car through the esva test?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Usually it depends on the test, but they are about ?500 to rent. Paying for the car to get through the test (including the report) will be around ?1000-?1500. Of course, you will have to get the car transported to the ESVA test centre too...

http://www.bridgegatemotors4imports.co.uk/20299/prodriftuk.htm

Torque GT are also very good :)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the site nicely, :thumbs:I'll give them a ring.

I know i'm starting to sound like a broken record but is there anyone on here with a S15 SPEC S who can point me in the direction of a company to do the test? Every importer site I check either don't have any S15's at all or if they do they only have Spec R models but there has to be some Spec S models in the UK. havn't there????:annoyed::cry:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I rang sva uk ltd and Bristol motor services. neither of them have a model report for the Spec S, just the Spec R. I have just checked www.vosa.gov.uk and it says there is a model report for a Silvia 5spd manual, 2.0L Petrol, ( I assume this is the SPEC S ) there is also a report for the SPEC R ( 6spd manual ). I rang the contact number and I am waiting for a guy to phone me back. Taking his freakin time thou :wack: :sleep:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I rang sva uk ltd and Bristol motor services. neither of them have a model report for the Spec S, just the Spec R. I have just checked www.vosa.gov.uk and it says there is a model report for a Silvia 5spd manual, 2.0L Petrol, ( I assume this is the SPEC S ) there is also a report for the SPEC R ( 6spd manual ). I rang the contact number and I am waiting for a guy to phone me back. Taking his freakin time thou :wack: :sleep:
Have a look on www.modelreports.com
They have a Spec-S model-report.

I think it's cheaper than a Spec-R to rent the report.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
yes i found it thanks. :notworthy: just wondering though if it will cover the 2002 model that i am looking at buying??? it says 1997-2000 but i thought the s15 only started in 1999? maybe i'm wrong. do you think it will cover my car??? :confused:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
just got off da phone and found out that the b:censored:'s won't accept the report and no report has been done for 2000 onwards :hurl::no:. ( deep breaths, and relax ) oh well back to the drawing board. either look for a 1999 spec s or go back to the s14a turbo. wat do you think???

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
:nono:Round 1 went against me but I'm still in the fight. :thumbs: I've located a new candicate for my well earned cash this one is 2000 Spec S with 76000mls for ?5750. totally standard except for Nismo 2 way diff, Nismo s/s exhaust and Nismo suspension ( no coil overs ) How's that sound???:clap:

Just gota confirm that the model report covers it ( 97-00 so it should ) then get on to sum1 bout esva test. SVA UK LTD @ Liverpool docks qouted ?700-800 and 2-3 wks, does this sound fair?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The test itself is about ?500. At least when I had it done to my S15 a couple of years ago. That was a Spec-R though and at BMS ltd. Don't know if the actual test price is different with the spec-s.

Edit. Sounds like a good car. Might need to change the diff. But a S14 one will probobly work well and doesn't cost alot.
The suspension might be OK. Mine got through with Bridgestone suspension. Exhaust need to be stock. ask them if they have the necessary parts for the test or if you need to source them.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That model report sounds as though its for the S14a Silvia. Check with ProDrift. I'm sure Charlie recently got a report done for the Spec S.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I was thinking the same thing but clive from sva uk ltd, told me that the report was for the Spec S up to year 2000. I'm assuming he knows wat he is on about as the company providing the report (www.modelreports.com) is a sister company of SVA UK LTD and the contact numbers get you through to the same office. otherwise he mighthave found the rite report and it only covers 2000 also???:confused:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I was thinking the same thing but clive from sva uk ltd, told me that the report was for the Spec S up to year 2000. I'm assuming he knows wat he is on about as the company providing the report (www.modelreports.com) is a sister company of SVA UK LTD and the contact numbers get you through to the same office. otherwise he mighthave found the rite report and it only covers 2000 also???:confused:
If you open the report on the site i linked to you'll see it's for the S15 Spec-S. Only up to 31/12/2000 though. :)