What's new

TAX

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I've just got my car taxed and was chocked when the guy asked for ?300 for the year. He said it was due to emissions. Can someone confirm if this is the right for UK.

Thanks, Keith

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Thats what I was expecting to pay - what can I do about it? The log book is down as a 199cc. ?300 isnt right.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That's not right. Should just fall into the normal price bracket, as the new emissions groups don't apply.

B

baynz

yeah i was worrying about falling into the higher emissions group before with my 2001 s15. but looking at the tax thats on there now i have nothing to worry about.

G

Ger Keane

how does the car tax system work in england? in ireland it goes on engine cc size and notyhing else. and a 2 litre in ireland costs ?572 (or thereabouts) for the year to tax. sounds like us irish get a raw deal with car tax and VRT compared to other countries :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
not long taxed mine ?190 ,
what years your car ? doesnt this new system go on emissions/year :confused:

i remember a thread over on sxoc, some s14 owners had to pay more than others due to the year of their car.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The road tax rules are here. The important bit is this:

Please note: These rates apply only to cars that have been type approved within category M1 of Annex II to Council Directive 70/156/EEC and which have been registered on the basis of a type approval certificate that shows its carbon dioxide emissions level in terms of grams per kilometre driven.
May suggest you check how your CO is shown on the bottom of the first page of your V5 (Special Notes). It needs to be shown as g/km not %CO. The ?300 rate only applies to vehcile registered after 23/03/2006, AND ONLY IF THE ABOVE RULE ALSO APPLIES.

I'm going to try to find out a bit more...

A

Adam15

ya mine is 572euro per year aswell what a dose,,ye dont know how good ye have it over lads!:D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've spoken to our friends at Torque GT. They, obviously, have quite a few dealings with registration and road tax for imports.

Mike @ Torque GT said:
The information for CO emissions is taken from the Model Report. The Model Report shows the emissions to be 242 g/km, putting it firmly in the higher tax band. However we have registered 6 S15's in the past 6 months, all of which the DVLA have put into the normal band (pre 2001). I have a feeling it may be something to do with confusion over date of manufacture vs date of importation at the DVLA. I would also think that the knowledge base in the DVLA local office where the vehicle is registered may have some bearing.
So, basically, if you have an S15 registered after March 2001, you should be paying ?300 road tax per year (or whatever the highest rate is). Its only down to the DVLA's inefficiency if you're not. And, yes, for the system to work on date of registration rather than manufacture is fooking stupid... :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is no resolution, I'm afraid. We all should be paying the higher rate. Its date of registration, not date of manufacture which is used.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Oh well, I'm over the immediate shock - just have to get used to it. Thanks to all for help, most appreciated. Keith

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I thought it was date of manufacture. I.e. any NEW car registered after 2001 is subject to the ?300? I paid ?170 last year.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Check the link in post #9. Its definitely date of registration. The only reason we haven't been hit is because the DVLA registered our cars in the wrong bracket.

B

baynz

shoot, so when i picked my car up from the import comapny mid may it had 6 mnths tax at ?99 does this mean ill be in the lower tax bracket? god i hope the dvla messed up with me.lol..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
One of our lovely board members PMd me with details of how to avoid getting your S15 in the higher bracket. It obviously needs to be done at registration stage though. I don't think posting it on the open forum is the best place for it though. People can PM me if required :)