What's new

Our Wheels Are ****!

P

pablo

sorry but i need to rant this

i recently replaced my wheel, and have a lovely momo and snap off, very chuffed.

i decided to sell my old wheel, which had a small nick in the top, prob from a ring (previous owner) see pics. i thought the wheel was leather so put on some polish (kiwi) and gave this area and the reat a quick wipe over over, thinking this would shine it all up..... it so happens that our wheels have an outer shiney skin (vynl?) and leather? underneath, the shiny stuff just peels off.

i pushed gently on an unbroken surface away from the nick and sure enough i could see this layer ripple.

wasnt this car 26k new what a load of tripe. ive had to refund the guy, im shamed if i could post crap like that:(

pics
before

more has since peeled off:wack:

BE CAREFUL WHAT CLEANING PRODUCTS YOU USE AND DONT UNDER ESTIMATE THE CHEAPNESS OF SOME ITEMS ON OUR CARS.:down:

the shiny outer layer with some effort will peel off regardless of cleaning products i have checked.

all i have know is an airbag to sell? what do do with the rest of it. shame as it was part funding my new wheel:cry:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
That sucks big time!

I did notice that although the wheel is of a good size and feels very comfortable, I'm tempted to change mine for an aftermarket one.

It seems prone to scratching and denting :down:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: I made the mistake of lightly placing a few bits of pre-cut insulating tape on the wheel whilst doing some electrical work and they did the same thing when I took them off... :rolleyes:

P1ssed me so much that I got a replacement wheel off Yahoo Auctions...

P

PhilV

lol wow that sucks, mine is still ok but I am afraid now....

PS: isn't our wheel the same wheel as you get on R34? my mate had a V-Spec one and his wheel is exactly the same bar the center logo which is a GT-R logo

P

pablo

like nicely and i have learned, you need to treat them carefully, dont allow them to get wet, careful with cleaning products, dont break the surface and dont put sticky things on them.

ive momo genuine leather wheel now so i guess i dont need to worry, but ill take this lesson with me onto other cars

P

Paul D

Can you not get it retrimmed in leather? I wouldn't have thought it would cost much

P

pablo

if they have enough leather hanging about in the colour you want. they normqally my it by the meter