What's new

Fire out from the exhaust

G

gunner93

Hi all. I have seen in drift cars, GT cars & rally cars flashes of fire escape out from the rear muffler especially during close throttle. I'd imagine only oversized injectors will cause rich fuel to overflow out through the turbine burning everything along the way. I cant imagine how the turbo is going to last through the race? Anyone with technical explanation on this? :confused:

P

Paddy mack

their are flamer kits you can get, which basicly mean fitting a spark plug into you exhaust to fire up you exhaust gases.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Rally cars use anti-lag kits which (as far as I know) does something to the engine management causing fuel to be burnt when the throttle is closed. The burnt fuel helps to keep the turbo spinning and makes very loud BANG BANG noises.

Generally, road cars which sometimes pop and have flames coming out of the back are experiencing fuel being burnt in the hot sections of the exhaust (when the throttle is closed) which means it has nothing to do with the turbo being spun/damaged.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My car spits flames sometimes when the exhaust is hot, as i'm sure most S15's do :nod:

Reaction score
Country
main thing to have is a decat. running bit rich helps too.. also a bigger fuel pump and injectors.. and a big bore exhaust hehe.. mine spits out flames too. And especially at night down unlit roads you can see the road light up from behind.

G

gunner93

Take a look under the S13. The fire must be from the split elbow with saperate waste gate vent?

Last edited:
D

dns15

theres a major difference between anti lag or so called misfiring system to jus normal back fire
misfiring ignites in the manifold pushing the turbo fin to spin to maintain boost
running rich ignites in the after turbo section of the exhaust, which create a pressure AGAINST the turbo spinning, small back firing is okay, but if its hardout rich BANG BANG then god bless ur turbo