What's new

Whats the best ECU??

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hey guys its that time of year iam going on holiday Again hehe and yes hong kong again so looks like some shopping is in order lol:D
and the main thing in the shopping list is a ECU also depending on cash hehe
I think ive got a choice of
HKS F.con
Power FC
E manage
is there any others and anyone on her know the best outta the lot??

thanks

B

Bry

I would pick which ever ECU your mapper recommends, the ECU is only as good as the map that is put in it,my 2p's worth :)

Reaction score
exactly what's said above... but for the stage of tune you're goin' to require, i'd say you're best off just jumpin' in the car, poppin' down to see Jez, and work his magic! :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As you would have no intention of mapping the car yourself, I'd save some money and get a chip and map from Jez... :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thats what i'm doing after selling my E-manage on :)

Although i like the look of the Power FC controller stuck to the dash :cool:

B

Bry

Thats what i'm doing after selling my E-manage on :)

Although i like the look of the Power FC controller stuck to the dash :cool:

I had a power fc in my last car,it's a great bit of kit but you end up with your eyes glued to the commander watching for Knock readings etc and nearly crashing :D

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
what shall i do ahha....there are a couple a things i still need to get before the remap tho

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If you buy say the Power Fc, as really it prob the best aftermarket one you could buy. Whatever the unit costs you, say ?500, you will have to pay the likes of Jez around ?400 to map it. Thats ?900

If you go to Jez and get him to fit one of his chips and map that, it will cost you ?350 all in.

Other tuners are avilable :)

Reaction score
see... listen to us! LOL

if you need to get other things first... instead of buying an ECU.... buy the other things you require! makes sense!!!

Reaction score
power fc all the way. standalone is the only way to go. For the money you can buy the power fc its well worth it!! theyre very easy to use and adjust

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
And the money you lose from blowing your engine after trying to map it yourself would make the PFC look cheap. The only way to tell 100% that you have no det is to have someone wearing det headphones whilst doing the mapping. A knock sensor/indicator is just that: an indicator.

In other words: PFC = paying to get it mapped.

Get your other bit first, then worry about sorting the mapping. Each time you add tuning mods to your car you should get it remapped. Better you have it as you want it, then get it mapped.

Reaction score
lol i agree 100% im not bloody nuts i get westward to do my mapping mate i wouldnt chance it on my todd. I just mean that the controller can come in handy sometimes. eg if you send the car in for a service you can limit the revs to say 2k so that the twits in the garage cant mess in the car

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
But that's my point. To you guys in Ireland, its not feasible for you to come over here to get a custom chip sorted. But for Ming, its just down the road to Horsham Developments in Newbury, so it makes much more sense for him. Jez can program the ECU to do pretty much everything a PFC can control. Ming could then buy about five or six Knock Lites with the money he's saved :p

Reaction score
fair point :) what kind of chips do they do? Can they be remapped for future mods?

Reaction score
Jez does fully custom mapping...... and can remap for adjustments.

As said. for the price... he'd not be any better off spending on a Power FC....

Plus, if nicely's runs fine on it... that's enough proof for me it does the trick! ;) haha

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
fair point :) what kind of chips do they do? Can they be remapped for future mods?
He attaches a daughter board which contains his chips. These override the ECU. Interestingly, the ECU board contains all the solder points for a daughter board...

He just plugs in his interface, connects to his laptop, attaches his lambda, ignition feed and det headphones and off you go for an on-road mapping (or Dyno if you want to pay for it). He takes some establishing readings onroute to his 'test track'. The chip will contain a basic map similar to the car setup (rather like when you set base settings on the PFC). You then do red line runs in third to get a graph of readings and he adjusts the map accordingly. If he hears det - and he will - he'll tell you to back off immediately, adjust the map and off you go again. When totally happy with the map, you're done.

The same process can be repeated for additional mods. It should be quicker though, as a good map was there previously and just needs tweaking :)

Reaction score
Country
im sure Jez would be happy enough to tune a power FC the same way if, you plan to get a power FC. but his chip are alot cheaper.