What's new

Insurance on an import?

Reaction score
Country
Hello everyone, I’m interested in importing a Silvia s15 through torque gt this time next year and I’m wondering how everyone sorted out their insurance? Did you just wait until the car came and bit the bullet on whatever the price was, did you look at other s15’s for quotes? I ask because I’ll be 19 with *hopefully* 2 years ncd so I’m trying to see if I can get the insurance on it as obviously insurance is still a big part of getting a car at this age. Currently have a 320d xdrive but I’ve always had a soft spot for S15’s so I thought I’d get one next year before prices go up even more...

A wee bit worried in case I get the car over here and the insurance ends up being 6k or something once the car has been registered in the uk. I’ve had a look over the sticky thread but it seems a wee bit old so just thought I’d ask for newer info?

Thanks a bunch

Farhan

dread

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@dread839
Best bet would be to get some quotes bud. At 19 insurance is likely to be expensive, when I imported mine I never checked but then I’m an old f*cker.

Reaction score
Country
Haha Aye I’ll have to look around and get some quotes, only trouble is sometimes the insurance companies call the S15 different names/other cars so it’s a bit sketchy. I’d be willing to pay up to like 2500-2800 but if it’s more than that I’ll be crying. Can’t wait till I get older and can get quotes of £300 etc hahaha

Reaction score
Country
Haha love seeing people complain about quotes of £600 etc for sports cars and I’m here paying 2300 for a relatively boring 320d xdrive

Reaction score
Country
Anything’s possible, mine was £770 at 20 years old with 3 years NCD. Would be worth finding a few number plates and sticking them in comparison sites and seeing what happens.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks man, that sounds pretty magic for 3 years ncd, doubt mine will be that low but anything under 2k and I’ll be happy. Aye will start looking at quotes for similar S15 spec r’s when I officially turn 19 so can use more insurance sites like admiral etc.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah that’s the thing man, the ones who give you somewhat reasonable quotes have an age limit. It’s a postcode lottery though to be honest. No idea what your area is like but thankfully I happen to live in an area with fairly low crime rates. As you already know, age is a massive factor too. Some insurers will give you a better quote if you have previously owned RWD cars as well, which I had.

I got that quote with Aviva. I just got incredibly lucky I think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Yeah I’ve seen people all over the uk come up with prices that are leagues apart. The car I’m in right now is awd, first car was fwd but I’m keen for something rear haha Paid 2300 for this car at the end of August, just checked insurance prices for this car again the other night and the same company is now quoting 1800 so hopefully when I get my 2nd year of ncd, the prices drop enough so I can buy the S15. Will definitely start looking at different companies in May when I hit 19, hopefully get somewhere. The age thing is pretty weird with insurers, some companies open up at 19, then when you get to 21 it gets cheaper apparently, and then the same when you get to 25. Insurance in the uk baffles me

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it’s so variable, the factors seem to be endless. Best of luck haha, I’m sure someone will give you a half reasonable quote in the end.

Reaction score
Country
Aye hopefully if I start crying on the phone someone will feel sorry and give me an okay one hahaha still a while away but just thought I’d get some info