What's new

Starting car problem

S

silviac

Tonight, suddenly my car refused to start up after sitting only 1hour.
The weather condition was light rain which might have/have not done something.
I gave a good jump start and ran for about good half an hour but didn't start again.

It makes multiple clicking noise when I tried to start so I think my battery is fine but could be alternator that is making the trouble or starter motor?

How much is alternator usually cost and is there other causes that I need to check? I don't have amp or any possible other gadgets that's draining power..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You first need to recharge the battery using a charger. If it starts fine once its fully charged then, yes, I'd suspect the alternator or the battery is on its way out. If there is a charging problem, your battery light should stay on. The clicking suggests a flat battery.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
It the clicking noise is like many many clicks very very fast, its very likely to be a flat battery :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Or a sticking starter motor, give it a knock while someone else tries to start the car, by a knock i mean hit it with a hammer :D, should kick it enough to start the car, if it does, you will still need a new one unfortunatly.

S

silviac

Could the rain have done something to battery or other connections? I only parked my car for an hour under rain and it suddenly did that..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Unlikely, unless there was some other factor. As suggested, check the battery first. If its fully charged and still won't start, check the starter motor. If it goes flat quickly, its either got a dead cell in the battery or not charging.

Thing is, it could have had just enough power to start that last time, but after leaving it a short while, it tipped the balance. Particularly if you had been using headlights, blower, etc beforehand.

D

D8RDVL

why dont u just check the charging rate on the car and if the battery is below 9.5 when cranking the battery is bad if when u check the charge and i dose no charge or dose it very slow like or to like nuthin the alternater is gone

P

Paddy mack

i had this in the colt mivec the car started grand never grave any bother, left work one friday afternoon and went to the supermarket, got back in the car and the bugger would not start that clicking all i got. so i jumped it. went home took out the battery out to charge it up and noticed it was low in water, so that could be whats happening with your car

S

silviac

My car got flat again after rainy day....

Could the water have done something like discharging my batter?

It only happens on rainy day..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Have you checked the battery? A weak battery will have problems in damp and cold conditions. Batteries also don't like going completely flat. Once they do, they will never charge fully again.