What's new

fitting a turbo to a spec s

2shea

hi guys im just trying to find out what i should do with my spec s s15 fit a turbo or swap a sr20det in to it? what would be the best option and why?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Hello and welcome :wave:

You should be able to get an SR20DET out of an S14 for cheaper than it would be to turbo a Spec-S, this is the route most Spec-S owners have went.

Have you thought about selling up and buying a Spec-R?

2shea

sorry guys suda said hi to ye all, will do in a min. well im from ireland and a 1999 spec s costs about ?12500-?13500 and a spec r costs ?17500-?20000 so i was looking in to all my option.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You have to remember that changing the engine doesn't make a Spec R. You have to uprate quite a few things to cope with the extra power.

D

Derek

You'd want to be paying a bit more for either a Spec S or Spec R to get a decent one in Ireland.

2shea

You'd want to be paying a bit more for either a Spec S or Spec R to get a decent one in Ireland.
well like all jap imports in ireland the cars are very over priced. but if u look around and you have cash waiting theres no reason that you shouldnt get a nice car for them prices.

2shea

You have to remember that changing the engine doesn't make a Spec R. You have to uprate quite a few things to cope with the extra power.
could you give me an idea, brakes would be one i guess?

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
could you give me an idea, brakes would be one i guess?
Why do I get the feeling it's time for Nicely to get rigid again :)

However - it is a factor - you'd have to buy a few more parts for extra rigidity (and weight) if you're really going high HP... but not really necessary if not overmodding... standard STB's and sway bars is enough.

Brakes definitely need upgrading - spec S has crappy brakes!

Suspension is not so hot on the Spec S too... and that is something else to add to the list.

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you wanted to be precise: brakes, suspension, body strengthening, wheels, and cosmetic detailing. Obviously engine, loom and ECU too. Oh, and 6MT gearbox, flywheel and clutch if you want that.

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
If you wanted to be precise: brakes, suspension, body strengthening, wheels, and cosmetic detailing. Obviously engine, loom and ECU too. Oh, and 6MT gearbox, flywheel and clutch if you want that.
OK, so I'm not good at precise :)

But the loom is something that is definetly an area that needs attention and is 'quite' expensive - and you'll need the right ECU as well :) I'm experimenting with an SR20DET loom into my SR20DE to get some extra control overtiming by moving from distributor based ignition to coils.

I still like the 5MT :) but then again... I'm comparing that to the slushbox that was on before.

BTW.. what other body detailing is there?

Chris

PS: just to make you happy Mr Nicely I've started buying some rigidity bits starting with 73256-85F00 for the roof... can you remind me what other parts I need to make up the difference :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
.............PS: just to make you happy Mr Nicely I've started buying some rigidity bits starting with 73256-85F00 for the roof... can you remind me what other parts I need to make up the difference :)
Full roll-cage should sort it :)
With the expected power you'll be putting out when your beast is finnished, it might be a good idea too.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
OK, so I'm not good at precise :)
I typed my reply at the same time as you, so was referring to the previous question :)

Full roll cage would make the car virtually uninsurable in the UK...

Body detailling: badges, boost instead of oil gauge. Probably other small things.

M

mitch

I do, but it'll have to be moved or removed if I can get a full cage in there, as it's on the A pillar.

M

mitch

Okay mate. I'll need to sort a list of things that I won't be needing. They can offset the cost of the conversion.

So far I'm thinking seats, boot spoiler, skirts and bumpers and interior...