What's new

Pod filter box?

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys and girls.

All week I have been looking for a new air filter, decided to order a popcharger from the states. Anyway, whilst I was looking I came across some enclosure boxes for pod filters made out fibreglass. The styles vary but the idea is the same, a big box that mounts between the strut and the headlight.

I may be wrong, but I have always felt that an air filter should get the coldest air possible (usually by two means, a box or a long CAI style) I never liked the idea of a CAI, seems like a bad concept. These boxes though, I can only find them in Australia. I know they have some mad rules when it comes to cars, but I would have thought the boxes would be big everywhere...

Can anyone explain them away, or point me in the right direction to one that doesn't come from the other side of the world?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
I bought one from Apex Performance. Took a bit of modification to get it to fit and happy in the end.

Reaction score
Country
Cess, for some reason my phone won't let me do anything on the apex performance site. I will have another look when I get onto my computer later.

The ones from Australia cost around about £100ish delivered, then most likely custom is due on top of that. I am leaning more and more towards one but I can't help but wonder why they aren't available from more places.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Why do you need a box, is a legal requirement over there..? I just bought a K&N Filtercharger from my local shop , made an adaptor (easy to buy as well) and a heat shield out of stainless steel (less heat transfer) and a bracket to support the whole thing...kept the original air trumpet to feed cold air to it...this combo is legal here, the only requirement is that it be solidly mounted..

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can get defected for it here in NSW SX2002, it's classified as an exposed pod filter..If you have it enclosed they will leave you alone

Reaction score
Country
SX2002, it's not a requirement over here in the UK. With the engine bay getting so hot I just wanted to shield the filter from it. Auss15, you guys have a lot of strange and strict cars laws from what I've read. I guess us lot here in the UK are lucky in that we pretty much has no laws when it comes to cars and even then the illegal ones aren't really enforced all that well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
You can get defected for it here in NSW SX2002, it's classified as an exposed pod filter..If you have it enclosed they will leave you alone
Yes, I've heard that but can never understand why an exposed air filter can be illegal...what harm can it possibly do...People here is SA also believed that so I wrote to Transport SA and they said that it's perfectly legal just as long as it's mounted securely...a lot of the flimsy brackets sold in parts shops were very Micky Mouse...

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
SX2002, it's not a requirement over here in the UK. With the engine bay getting so hot I just wanted to shield the filter from it. Auss15, you guys have a lot of strange and strict cars laws from what I've read. I guess us lot here in the UK are lucky in that we pretty much has no laws when it comes to cars and even then the illegal ones aren't really enforced all that well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
A lot of our car laws are little more than a joke...it's like saying you can't wear brown shoes on Sundays but no-one can tell you why...LOL

Reaction score
Yes Ron, there explanation is because it is exposed it could present a fire hazard...go figure, especially when the Ford XR6 Turbo they drive has a very similar factory setup to what you have, bottom line, and to help our Northern brothers, is here in certain States, anything that is not stock can be a defect depending on who pulls you over from the law enforcement..You can even be referred to our Environmental Protection Agency for exhaust emission levels and noise

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Yes Ron, there explanation is because it is exposed it could present a fire hazard...go figure, especially when the Ford XR6 Turbo they drive has a very similar factory setup to what you have, bottom line, and to help our Northern brothers, is here in certain States, anything that is not stock can be a defect depending on who pulls you over from the law enforcement..You can even be referred to our Environmental Protection Agency for exhaust emission levels and noise
I contacted SA Transport about the space saver wheel/tyre soon after I bought my car, at that time it was illegal to have different sized wheels on the same axle...they told me that legislation was on the table to rectify the situation but to this day I still think it's illegal as I never heard that the law was changed. When I asked, they said it was up to the police officer who stopped me whether I got fined or not...charming...!!!!