What's new

Age of a car.

Reaction score
Country
My car is on a "W" 2000 plate but I'd like to try and find out the year of manufacture.

Apperently the VIN plate holds this info (in the U.K. at least) The 10th character is the age marker.
but I'm not sure if this applies to vehicles from outside the UK.

If it does apply it would actually make mine a 2002 model...but given the condition I find that hard to believe.

anyone know for sure or if there are other ways to find out.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here with 16 years of pieces of information.The JDM S15's stopped local production in 2000, due to the new emission laws at the change of the decade.
They were however manufactured for Australia and New Zealand for 2001 and 2002 because their emission laws weren't as strict
.They were slightly detuned because only 95RON was available in both countries..Pretty much it kept Nissan Japan being able to make S15's 2 years longer than their JDM production..

Last edited:

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I have a 2002 S15 from japan.... they made them until 2002.

If the RX7 was still sold till 2002 then the s15 defiantly was as its emissions are far less than the rotary.

Reaction score
Country
Seems mine is a '00 not a '02 as i originally thought, the condition reflects this.

it also states mine should have "G" interior..which must have been swapped for AUSDM GT interior. (Inc door cards, and cloth..not the normal Jersey I've seen rear bench)

and it should have a rear wiper too..nope it doesn't.

mine also has tinted rear windows, was this a factory thing or aftermarket?

Reaction score
Strange about the no rear wiper,, ADM cars both Spec levels came without a wiper..I know the Japanese tint their back and rear side windows a lot darker than the driver and passenger glass..maybe their regulations

Reaction score
Country
Just had a look There are holes for the wiper assy but they have glass "bungs" so possibly it's had a replacement screen which sit very flush and to be fair if I hadn't have looked properly I wouldn't have seen them

Reaction score
Country
Yeah of course there's every possibility.

i just doesn't look like it...almost looks factory, two perfectly sized pieces of glass bonded in place.

but yeah you are probably right it was done at a later stage

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Remarkably, there's a crowd in Germany do glass grommets for de-wipering Silvias. They bond into place.