What's new

Some driving questions

Reaction score
Country
So after doing some driving and a bit of research, I have some questions regarding how your S15s are on the road regarding gears and fuel economy etc.
My S15 is the Japanese spec r.
When driving down the highway at 100km/h (about 60mph) what gear are people in? I usually am in 6th gear, but it feels like the engine is lugging a tiny bit, but this might be me being paranoid.
Today I drove roughly 460km (285 miles) on a full tank with maybe 10~15L of fuel left (don't know for sure). I was trying to be as economical as possible.
Which brings me to the next question, at low rpm, would a turbo car be typically more economical? as long as you are not hitting high boost.

There are plenty of google results on these, but not quite in this context.

My car is essentially stock. Pretty much just an exhaust.
How is everyone's cars?

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Turbo cars with the throttle opened only little will not spool the turbo, therefore can be nearly as economical as its N/A counterpart however the loss of economy at that point will be down to the difference in engine compression.

I find the ratio of the 6th gear to be a lot different from the 5th gear, so I find it the engine rpm to be very low when using it at that speed, but I don't get a feeling of kangarooing if that's what you're saying.

In theory it could be down to a few things, I normally find it to be related to worn engine mounts or the clutch being aftermarket so the dampening function not working as well. It still could be something wrong with a sensor somewhere such as O2 sensor or MAF, or you may have to re-learn the idle to get a smoother engine response at low RPM

Hard to say really without being in the drivers seat unfortunately.

Also, no idea about fuel economy as I'm usually an uneconomical driver :evil:

Reaction score
Country
Why are you driving an s15 and worrying about fuel economy? It's an 90s 00s turbo car it's not designed for economy. If you want economy buy a Prius.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Why are you driving an s15 and worrying about fuel economy? It's an 90s 00s turbo car it's not designed for economy. If you want economy buy a Prius.
Well to be honest with you, I am also curious about the fuel economy on the S15. I'm sending mine to paint the front bumper next week as it has stone chips, once it's back I'll do a full tank economy drive and report back, just out of interest.

Reaction score
Country
Haha I agree, I assure you i didn't get an S15 for the fuel economy! I was just curious because my fuel gauge was broken and wanted to get a feel of how accurate it is (should be fixed now). I like to know as much as i can about my car.

In regards to the engine mounts etc. i think there are no issues with those, the engine lugging i was referring to is most likely me being paranoid and there's defiantly no kangarooing :lol:
Its probably just me. But yea, my car so far has 460km/tank with fuel to spare. This is highway driving though.

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Pure freeway driving I would get somewhere around 600km's. Just under 10 liters per hundred.

Reaction score
Country
hey sorry for the late reply, The lugging kinda just feels like it might be bumps in the road haha, it's that small of a thing, so i highly doubt it's anything.

Reaction score
Country
car is on stock suspension, pretty much all stock. I've been driving around and i really don't think its an issue, just my driving haha.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
KW are very good, I've been on track with my friends car a few times running KW and they are very very capable, probably my favourite based on the price.

How much do they go for over there? They are not too bad in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
KW clubsport goes for about 3000AUD i think. For a bit less than that there are the MCA reds. The KW clubsports are 2 way adjustable, and the MCA reds are not unfortunately. 3000AUD is about 1700 pounds it think.
*edit* I'm not sure if that's including shipping!

immy21

Reaction score
Country
Kw are to this day the best suspension I have ever owned . Absolutely amazing
V3's?

What other suspension have you owned?
I'v currently got Tein street flex but had HSD HR, Miester zeta R, AST sportline all on S chassis's but don't think any of them are particularly good.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I had the inox line v2 and they were amazing . They don't have the adjustability of the v3 but tbh they didn't really need it , the damper setting have you enough variation to get a set up suited to you . V3 is the set up they do for the 15 my mate has it on his 15 and they are really really good . I had tein, which were rubbish, bilstein / eibach combo which is really good for a daily road car and currently have rsr I sports on my silv which are also very capable and not far off the kw tbh. I will be looking at a new set up soon more than likely and will be choosing between kw, ohlin and fortune autos