What's new

Engine/Exhaust Sound

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

I am getting pretty serious about buying a JDM car and would love an S15 above all else currently.

One concern I have of late after watching hundreds of youtube vids and visiting forums etc is the SR20DET engine and exhaust sound.

Sound is a massive factor with me when choosing a car and I love everything else about the SR20 but have heard its not the greatest vocalist compared to the RB26 and 2JZ (yes, i know these are larger engines). I am such a purist for the sound experience when driving that I am actually considering if the extra money for an R32 or Supra MkIV is worth it.

What do you guys make of the SR20's voice? Is it stock that people find it a little off? and how much can be done with the engine/exhaust to sweeten up the sound and really get it singing? I wouldnt want it obnoxiously loud as im not a ricer :D but I would do all thats possible to coax out a refined soundtrack with the odd crack and plenty of burbling when the revs sink.

thoughts?

Sorry if I sound noob-ish at all. still new to this world but learning fast :)

Reaction score
It's never going to be a great sounding engine, at the end of the day it's only a 4cylinder, if the sound is really that important to you I would be looking at LEAST a 6 cylinder engine preferably more. V8 V10 or V12 for a genuinely good sounding engine, all is just my opinion obviously. If you want a loud exhaust with pops, bangs and crackles, that should be possible with the right mods and tune.

immy21

Reaction score
Country
Sounds a bit crap from outside but can sound decent inside the car. Personally I don't like most droney exhaust noise but love intake noise on most cars.
Stock S15's (and s14's) are very quite and refined engine sound wise, but that makes it sound lifeless and dull in a run of the mill BMW sort of way.

Metal intake helps a lot, makes turbo wooshy noises on throttle very audible, silicon or stock rubber dampens that right out.
Non VVT SR's sounds better, CA sound quite exciting.

Nearly all 4 cylinders sound a bit **** tbh, even 3 cylinders sound nice and grunty and inline 6's sound fantastic, especially RB's and JZ's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
thanks for responses both.

I guess I'm throwing 6's back in to the equation too then. my issue was that RB26s are a fair bit more expensive than SR20s both to buy and run. unless I am missing something?? Supras seem a good bit cheaper than skylines currently which may be a possibility. do love the 2jz but again more expensive to run and maintain than SR20?

funny you should mention BMWs because ive always fancied getting a 235i or similar high performance I6 variant and letting that sweet engine breathe/sing properly with a full exhaust system. Shame they are still in the high £20k's used. Another 6cyl I love is the 370z but the £500/yr tax puts me off here :(

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
I like the sound of the SR20. I think it's akin to a BDA. And that was a great sounding engine

Reaction score
Country
Mine has a twin down pipe on it, makes it sound quite nice imo.

Reaction score
Country
Twin down pipe? Haven't seen one of them before. Ever venture near Coventry? :D

On that note are there any s15 meets in West Midlands? I live near Coventry and would relish the chance to check some s15s out!

Reaction score
Country
As 4 cylinder engines go I reckon the SR20 sounds pretty good with the right exhaust. There are plenty of clips on YouTube with great sounding S15s and if you can find one that sounds good you can probably find out what exhaust system they have. I have a Turbo-back X-Force on mine and it sounds pretty nice - quite throaty and not too noisy while its idling and driving round the suburbs but when you open it up it sounds awesome. Not as nice as a straight-6 of course but still.

Reaction score
Country
6's do sound good no doubt.

As you say with the right exhaust I reckon it would be pretty sweet. If I can get some burbles, the odd over run crack from it and some turbo noise I'd be ecstatic.

Don't want it spitting flames with an anti lag setup though :D bit too much for me!

Reaction score
Country
Twin down pipe? Haven't seen one of them before. Ever venture near Coventry? :D

On that note are there any s15 meets in West Midlands? I live near Coventry and would relish the chance to check some s15s out!

Allegedly it sits closer to the underside of the car than other downpipes. I am yet to fit my one, but will confirm when I do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I've come from owning JZ and RB powered cars and I don't find the sound of the S15 bad at all.

Mine has a twin downpipe (like above) and it sounds awesome! It pops and bangs on gear changes and regularly spits flames.

Reaction score
Country
I think the twin downpipe and ss manifold mated to an apexi gt spec exhaust have helped with the sound of my 14a. The twin downpipe does give you more clearance than normal too.

Reaction score
Country
Great pic, it looks like a decent amount of clearance too

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Ah, the sound of screamer pipe.

If I had a band, that would be the title of my debut album

Reaction score