What's new

Moving to America

Reaction score
Country
Evening ladies and Gents,

I am in the RN and it turns out it is very likely that I might be posted to the States in April. Gutted as I have only had my 15 since August 15!! So I had options, sell it and buy something American once over there. Keep it in the UK somewhere, possibly father in law who might run it for me.

I am currently looking at the third option, pay for it to go on a roro ferry and take it with me for two years. I have a quote of £922 insured and shipped to the states the n about $400 dollars of various fees to clear customs.

Questions, how easy is it to insure in the states and for a none standard Jap car? Do you pay tax and MOT type stuff and if so how much is it all. And if I get there and decided to sell, what's the market like.

I know it's a lot of questions but the flash to bang notice will be quick so I need all the answers!!!

Cheers

Reaction score
Country
You should check if it even is possible to register in the states, as i dont think they are(like the skylines). Might be possible to bring it in as you are moving but you should send a mail to the american DVLA to be sure.

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
www.ejmcarphotography.co.uk
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
I am in no way shape or form an expert, buuuuut someone told me S15s were illegal in the States ... I did a little research as I am a nosey cow and came across this forum
https://forums.finalgear.com/questions-and-answers/silvia-legal-in-america-32966/
As with all forums how much element of truth is there, I have no idea, but worth a read, post #11 in particular has a couple of links that might be of use to you.
I didnt look much further as I will never be taking an S15 over there lol, but worth a read. I think laws vary depending on states etc, but long and short answer is, unless someone here has experience of getting an S15 over there, then I would talk to an import company (in the States) or see if there are any contact details on the links - good luck and please post back on here when you know as I would love to know the truth! :)

Reaction score
One of my friend is an US army and he had been stationed in Japan from couple years, and when he moved back to the states, he just brought a S15 with him and back to the states, and without any issue for the car registration.

Not sure if you are not an US army though, just want to share this.....

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
if it was me I'd sell up and buy some American muscle while you can over there, then when you come back pickup another S15.

Reaction score
Country
Sell it and buy something big and with a V8.
Petrol is cheap and so are the cars.

15's are always popping up over here.

Reaction score
Country
Okay so I've found a website selling chevrolet camaro's and there are a load of 2014 models for around 15000 dollars which is a little over £10,000. If I get the job I would be happy in one of those!! May even bring it back with me!!

Reaction score
Country
So I am currently watching F&F (4th or 5th film with the Mexican drug running and Paul walker has just pulled up behind an S15 parked up on the street!! Who do I need to speak to in America about imports etc, as in the DVLA equivalent??

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
So I am currently watching F&F (4th or 5th film with the Mexican drug running and Paul walker has just pulled up behind an S15 parked up on the street!! Who do I need to speak to in America about imports etc, as in the DVLA equivalent??
No idea lol :) knowing America there's probably a different "dvla" for each stateOne thing I read somewhere was when they filmed f&f they apparently used legal s14s with s15 body work as a way to get around the law :)
Yeh I've spent waaaaay to long on google but hopefully when I pick up my S15 I won't have time for Google anymore lmao ;)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
I think the car in the F&F film is a 240sx kitted to look the same as an s15 but has a different engine ke24de or something(please correct me if I'm wrong). I also think there is a 25 year rule with regards to importing cars into the USA.
I would go with a yank tank if i was you while in the USA everything is set up on the other side. so drive thoughts, car parks ect... would be a nightmare in an S15 plus it would fell very small compared to the other cars on the road.

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
I would be tempted the "yank tank" route too lol!
A chance to get something big and greedy on the juice without the worry of running costs ;) plus the costs even if it was feasible to bring an s15 over you might be better off having 2 cars, 1 here and 1 in the states.
If you fall in love you could always bring the American beasty back too!
If you love your s15 too much to sell go for your family car sitter option you mention :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
They are illegal in the states but there are ways around it depending on which state you are in.
I chat to a few guys in the states that have legally registered s15's out there.
I have no idea how they did it though, I can try and find out if you like but I would personally be buying a yank tank or hot rod and making the most of the scene while out there.
You can get another 15 easy enough upon your return

Reaction score
Country
Okay, so today I went to the car club at work and put the car on the ramp and An Drew was there with is 350gt so gave me a quick had putting the Decat on. He was admiring how phenomenally clean the car was underneath and the undersealing torque GT did was great. He also noticed that the shock absorbers and some of the suspension set up is also aftermarket and stronger. Makes me even more determined to keep her now. He also said that if you have lived in this country for more than 2 years and owned the 15 here you can then legally import it in to the states apparently. Going to email the dmv in south carolina and see what the crack is when I get the nod from work!!

Reaction score
Country
My advice would be to sell it and buy a car out there, but that's just what I would do personally

Reaction score
Country
You won't be able to register it in America if you try to bring it over. There are ways that people own gray market imports, but I'm not about to get into that can of worms. Honestly pay to store it or sell it.