What's new

Engine Light and gear changes

Reaction score
Country
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Couple of questions that are not related to each other. Two birds with one stone and all that :p

Question 1

I pretty sure this is down to the cold weather but i suppose i want to try to clarify exactly what it is that does this.

Recently, everytime i turn the car on, i will half turn the key in order for the engine light and other lights to initially come on and then turn off before i start the engine. Force of habit from driving a diesel!

What i am noticing over the last three weeks odd, is when i turn the engine over initially, the engine light will come back on for about 1 minute and then disappear.

I'm a little anal with the car so i will always allow it to warm up and get the oil around the engine on cold starts before driving. Point being i get to monitor every thing like clock work.

It is obvious that the car is definitely having a harder time warming up in this weather (I live on the Pennines!) and the engine (although starts every time) shows sign of reluctance for the first 20 seconds also before going back in to its normal high murmur and then about 5 minutes later will tone down the murmur once warm.

As mentioned above, i am really just wanting to find out why this happens specifically and what it is in the engine that is triggering the light to initially come on and then go.

Question two:

I have a double plated clutch (HKS) which is great. Bit noisey and has a will to want to throw you forward in to any gear, which again.... very entertaining! gives you the odd flappy moment here and there but overall puts a smile on ones face.

Question about this is, if i do a short drive it is fine and does what it is supposed to do. However if i do a long trip on the motor way (4-5 hours +) it displays some odd characteristics.

the three examples below are the main culprit.

E.G.1. Once off the motor way, it will not really want to go in to first gear again. It will with a little encouragement and generally involves one to have to lift foot off the clutch pedal and re depress, and also place the gear stick in to the first gear (area) and wiggle it forward with a small amount of force (sometimes it is easier, sometimes it is an absolute nightmare).:furious:

E.G.2. Same applies after the long trip scenario (has happened in short trips as well). I will be in first gear to slowly creep car in to a parking spot, it will not allow me to take the gear stick out of first gear (clutch pedal is depressed) and then the car will stall.:eek:

E.G.3. Some times after a long trip where car has been working hard for a good 4 -5+ hours, the clutch plate (a guess) rattles a hell of a lot. This is when the car is out of gear in neutral but engine is still ticking over, you can hear the rattle (every one in a 20 meter radius can hear the rattle) as it goes up and down with the murmur of the car.:rolleyes:

Once the car has been turned off for a hour or two and is restarted, every thing will go back to normal, but the described conditions generally start again in a much shorter time scale.

If you leave the car over night and then start it again, it is fine, and you could do a few hours on the motor way no problem no rattle, no sticking, no problem changing gear!

I have read on previous threads that these aftermarket clutch plates are not great on Silvia's as the OEM gear box can't really deal with added pressure.

Like in question one, i really want to understand why this is happening, and what is physically happening to the clutch and gear box? Also any advice would also be really really appreciative.

Thanks again,

Jack

Reaction score
Country
Ragamuffinryan,

Now that's pretty cool! Genius, thanks!

Do you think I would get the same result if I have an Apexi ecu?

Thanks ,

Jack