What's new

Softer suspension

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys!

Just a quick one, I run CST coilovers and I am finding that they are too harsh to use every day. Im wondering what would be my best bet to change to to improve the ride quality. My car isnt stupidly low so thats not an issue

Thanks

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
I bought some tein 4kg springs replacing the the rear (5kg) springs which I then put on the front, making the original 7kg springs redundant. I was much happier after and driving is a pleasure now. I did fit some whiteline ARBs though to restore the cornering capabilty... in fact I would say my car is far better handling (capability) on most roads than it was.

Cost me about £80 I think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went with the Nismo s-tune option, and removed my old coilovers, happy with the ride quality, but you are stuck at one ride height and with no camber adjustment on the front.

Reaction score
Country
Going low isnt on my list, I want to happily drive the car. Dont think I have adjusted the camber on the front anyway. Would it be worth seeing if I can change the springs. Issue is these were on the car when I imported it, wouldnt know where to look

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Driftworks will be able to find you springs. You need to take a look and see if the coils have any indicator of spring rate so you don't end up with an odd balance. Nismo s-tune is a great option, but more expensive and a 'downgrade' in most people's eyes (not mine). My coilovers aren't low, but they are 'just right' which is good. Basically it's as low as I can get away with and still drive at normal speeds over those slim speed bumps which are dotted around everywhere.

I sold my old springs and shocks (HKS springs and standard shocks) to a chap on here for £65 which is pretty cheap but I can't imagine anyone asking for more than a £100 for a set so might be worth putting a wanted post up? Check springs for rates and talk to DW first tho, seems like the cheapest way to a premium setup.

Reaction score
Country
My current set up allows me to navigate any speed bump, but driving National speed limit on country roads or motorway is a nightmare. As a daily driver its starting to break me. What coilovers you using?

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
HSD monopro's. With the 5/4kg springs they do B roads pretty well now, but I think having 17" wheels with generous profiles helps (235/45/17)

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Wow! Do you even have any teeth left? Yeah that's really high, even for the people that like really hard suspension. I imagine you have quite a few rattles, a sore back, and spend a lot of the time airborne from your seat driving around normal roads. My car would feel like a limo compared to yours, so you might prefer 7/5kg. Those that like hard setups normally go 9/7kg or thereabouts so yours are pretty much solid.

Reaction score
Country
12/10kg! I didn't know they even did them that stiff.

Mine are 8/6kg, they are stiff but I find them comfortable enough to use on bumpy roads without complaining too much! :)

I use Daiyama Coilovers now but I did have the Nismo S-tune springs as well at one point, they were a very nice height, stiff but incredibly comfortable. I really miss them :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is crazy stiff! Some softer springs will no doubt transform the car. I found the D2 coilovers i had a little stiff and they were 8kg i think. I used the camber adjustment when getting it allighned but found i rarely ever adjusted the damping, so thought a well designed shock and spring that just works would be better suited for what i use the car for.

Let us no what you go for and how you get on with whatever set up you choose.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, if I'm honest I think KYB adjustable shocks and most progressive lowering springs offer the best and simplest optimal road setup but you can probably spend £200 getting springs front and rear and stick with what you have. I'd suggest 7/5kg as it seems to be what most people like, but it was still too hard for me. Probably you should find a mate with an S chassis and try out their motor if possible. If you're near me you're welcome to a shot in my car.

Reaction score
Nismo S-Tunes are very good for a daily driver. For hard track use I'm considering new springs.

The blue and yellow ones were a factory fit option on the S15 when new in Japan:

Nismo S-Tune [S15 factory] - ?kg/?kg
Ride height change Front~ -20mm Rear~ -20mm
(note when first fitted they're often 'pumped' up. Drop the car a few times and they settle)

Nissan [Showroom] - As far as I could see from a bit of searching standard is 2kg/2.5kg spring rates on a showroom S15.

Nismo S-Tune [G-Shock] - an aftermarket product refresh. From RHD, Negun etc Japan. 4.5kg/5.5kg
- Damping Force 0.3m/sec, N(kgf) Front 2157/785 (220/80) Rear 1765/834 (180/85)
- Spring constant N/mm (kgf/mm) Front 44.1(4.5) Rear 53.9(5.5)
- Vehicle height change Front~ -20mm Rear~ -20mm

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't think the yellow and blue ones where ever called s-tunes, I thought they were just a factory option referee to as nismo suspension.

The springs are fairly easy to change once you have the shocks off the car, not as easy as all the aftermarket coilovers, but still very much something you can do at home on your own with a few tools.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that stock was F 2.2 and R 2.4
Nismo optional suspension is F 3 and R 3.2

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
I had the Yellow and Blue Nismo ones on my Spec S .. they were not super comfortable as a daily drive. I'm running Vogtland springs over stock shocks on my Spec R (pending shock replacements) .. they gave the Silvia a nicer drop and are way more comfortable than the Nismo ones were.
Swift springs seem to come fairly highly recommended for use on coilovers - more comfortable at the same spring rate than a bunch of others. Was pondering some Fortune Auto coilovers with Swift springs..