What's new

differential

Reaction score
Country
hello, i have s15 spec s, so im thinking to get both wheels spinning. have anyone diff from spec r, or how should i better do, without welding it

Reaction score
Country
What do you want to use the car for? Still running the NA motor?

The 4.083 ratio is really nice I wouldn't want to give that up for any of the longer ratios unless you went to the 6 speed box. Spec R is a torsen type and it's good for grip poor for drift, comes with ~3.7 ratio. You could pick up just the centre for very little money from Yahoo auctions and throw it in the Spec S pumpkin, you need the output flanges too afaik. R32/33(non v-spec) GTR centre is quite a nice mild 2-way that's totally streetable and will fit in the Spec S case with the original output flanges. I ran this setup in mine for a while and it worked quite nicely. It did still do the occasional one wheel peel though so I decided to install the nismo 12kgf overhaul kit. This is really made for a nismo LSD and the stack height is wrong so I had to have shims made up to get the preload right. This setup I feel would be ideal for someone wanting a drift car for the street, there is no tyre skipping or chatter from the diff, however it is very agressive with the lockup on throttle despite the mild 45 degree ramps. Honestly it's too tight for me now, it understeers on the way in and oversteers on the way out, handling was a lot nicer before for fast road grip driving.
Of course, if road manners are not a concern then you've got the likes of Nismo GT LSD, Kaaz, Tomei Trax etc..
Definitely though, I would not put a longer gear ratio into a car with the NA engine, they are sluggish enough already.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Did you not get a viscous unit with your spec S or is it just knackered? I'm switching to a nismo 1.5 way soon, but it's expensive and will sound broken so although it's a daily driver, I'm mentally prepared. We'll see how I get on with that in a few weeks. My first s13 I had used to lock up both wheels and I thought that was normal, turned out I won the viscous differential lottery and got one that behaved well. No following s13 I owned after had one like it so I would switch to s14 auto diffs which were in better condition and readily available/cheap. Not sure how this stands now tho.

As as for the spec r diff, personally I don't like it. Its not bad, but it's not as predictable as I like a diff to be. Great for FWD and some people love them for RWD too. Depending on how I get on, I may have a pumpkin and half shafts that will be spare, but probably not for a couple of months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
diff

What do you want to use the car for? Still running the NA motor?

The 4.083 ratio is really nice I wouldn't want to give that up for any of the longer ratios unless you went to the 6 speed box. Spec R is a torsen type and it's good for grip poor for drift, comes with ~3.7 ratio. You could pick up just the centre for very little money from Yahoo auctions and throw it in the Spec S pumpkin, you need the output flanges too afaik. R32/33(non v-spec) GTR centre is quite a nice mild 2-way that's totally streetable and will fit in the Spec S case with the original output flanges. I ran this setup in mine for a while and it worked quite nicely. It did still do the occasional one wheel peel though so I decided to install the nismo 12kgf overhaul kit. This is really made for a nismo LSD and the stack height is wrong so I had to have shims made up to get the preload right. This setup I feel would be ideal for someone wanting a drift car for the street, there is no tyre skipping or chatter from the diff, however it is very agressive with the lockup on throttle despite the mild 45 degree ramps. Honestly it's too tight for me now, it understeers on the way in and oversteers on the way out, handling was a lot nicer before for fast road grip driving.
Of course, if road manners are not a concern then you've got the likes of Nismo GT LSD, Kaaz, Tomei Trax etc..
Definitely though, I would not put a longer gear ratio into a car with the NA engine, they are sluggish enough already.
yes i have n/a engine, but in winter i plan to put more work on engine. and car i want to daily drive, but hate when one wheel spins only.
i looked diff on ebay, but i was thinking if domeone hefe have some diff to sell

Reaction score
Country
Have you had an aftermarket clutch type before? They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more aggressive than a viscous.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yep deffo, but I've not owned one. Driven a couple. Used to own a couple with welded diffs too, so used to the clonk clonk screech. I'm hoping with the nismo job set to lowest setting it'll be ok to live with. I've had loads of viscous ones too of varying degrees of worn out, but my first s13 was just unusually good, pulled like a train and left two black lines when i put tyre marks down, which is I assume what a brand new vlsd must be like.

Do you think I'll keep it? I do. :wack: Place bets now! :)