What's new

Solid shift bush install question

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, I got this far into fitting my brass shift bush the other day and couldn't get any further. Is this the seal/gaiter that needs to be cut to be removed?

Also I'll be changing my gearbox oil at the same time so once the shifter is out I can fill it up from where the shifter goes right? To overfill it a little.

Another quick question.... I've seen on a mighty mods episode on an 180sx that they replaced the stock steering bush with one like this. Is there a similar part for s15's to tighten the steering up a bit?

Thanks,

Leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yep! Cut that part of the gaitor off and then underneath is a circlip you can remove with screwdrivers with some fiddling if you don't have a proper tool. You can fill the gearbox oil from the top, I did the job myself just last week and used 2.2 litres.

Not or sure about the steering column disc but interested to know.

Reaction score
That steering bush is for the s13, not the s14 and s15. I've somehow ended up with 2 of those on my shelf and no car to use them with.

Reaction score
Country
I know the one I posted is for a 13 I was just asking if there's an alternative for a 15? Or anything else I could do to make the steering more direct?

Reaction score
Other than replacing worn steering rack bushes and making sure your track rods and ends are in good condition I'm not aware of any.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
In my experience with these cars when the steering feels sloppy then the usual suspects are subframe bushes, or TC arm bushes although the latter one tends to show itself more with unpredictable extra steering while the former is general sloppiness and a bit of movement from the rear under acceleration. That metal disc was amazing for steering feel in my s13 but only after I'd done the subframe which truly transforms the car - as such I'll be doing these on my s15 asap.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Don't cut the gaiter. Just use a small flat blade screwdriver and gently hammer it down the side of the gaiter and prise it out. Then you can reuse it.

Over the the years I've replaced all my front end to improve the steering and each one has worked and now I have, Whiteline ARB at hardest setting, upgraded TC arms/bushes, polly lower arm bushes, polly steering rack bushes, uprated Rack arms and ends and coilovers. Plus a proper alignment session on a hunter machine.
My steering is great now and even alittle over sensitive. But I've recently fitted a big brake kit with massive heavy discs and this has helped the over sensitive steering with alittle extra unsprung weight it has helped the feel imensley.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
You sure you can reuse that lower gaitor? Mine had one which could be prised out and reused, and a lower one which (as far as I could tell) could not. I actually spent 20 mins working out how to avoid doing anything irreversible before putting a screwdriver through and deciding the only way to keep it all neat was cut it out and throw it away, using the above piece to reseal the whole thing. Fair play if you can tho, just I failed to see it. Bah!

Whiteline ARBs are I think the biggest bang for buck improvement in steering sharpness I've ever found. Love em!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I had a go at trying to prise the lower gaiter up and it did seam to come a little so I'll try again.

Anti roll bars are on my list so that's good news!