What's new

SPEC R or S ???

Reaction score
Country
Dear members, usual story when someone new joins, I’m going to ask a question that has undoubtedly been asked numerous times. So please accept my humble apologies.

I was going to buy an MR2 turbo after having a couple of ST205’s, but an S15 caught my eye. Being a coupe man, and loving the S15 lines not to mention RWD & power train…… now I must have one.

Just looking around at the ads, I see there are a few different specs R, S & Aero. As I know nothing about them, will you please educate me? I guess what I’m ultimately asking is, what is the best spec & more desirable ???

Thank you
Chris

Does anyone meet in the Eastbourne area ?

See y'all at Japfest

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Welcome!

Its SPEC R or S, not type R!!

R is a Turbo 6 speed, S is a Non turbo 5 speed and about 1/2 the price at the mo!

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Welcome

Spec S are cheap but dog slow compared to the Spec R's. Depends on your budget and what you want.

Edited the title.... We don't own Civics here lol

Reaction score
Country
I believe Aero is just a bodykit / trim, but there are 4 variants as far as I'm aware.

Spec R - Turbo, 6speed box, about 250hp (around 11k for clean model)
Autech - N/A high compression, 6speed, spec R brakes, bracing etc, mapped by Autech etc. Not a lot you can do to them power wise as its a spec S Autech have tuned to around 200hp, still a good quick car, just not a lot at lower revs ( around 6-6.5k for clean example)
Spec S - N/A, slow as feck, 5speed box (around 5k)
Veriatta(not sure on spelling) - spec S convertible, common with auto boxs, in my opinion ugly as! (Not to sure on the worth to be honest)

Autech's and Veriatta's are a bit rarer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
As far as I know, Aero cars came with side skirts and a rear wing. There was also a different Aero front bumper and spats for the rear bumper but not all Aeros seem to have these so might've been optional extras. Non-Aero cars didn't have the wing or skirts it seems.

The rest seems to have been covered, worth noting that Spec-R have extra bracing (such as a rear brace in the boot) and I think they also have a different LSD. If you want a quick car you'd probably be best looking at Spec-Rs but they do cost significantly more than the others.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Just as price guide. For a low mileage 50k stockish S15 of 3.5-4 grade, you are looking at 8k on the road from Japan!