What's new

S15 wouldn't start after filling up with fuel! Because it was water!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
So I filled up my empty tank with super unleaded yesterday! 53 litres! Started the car it died within 5 seconds. Then it just cranks but not fire.
So I sit there for alittle just cranking and pumping throttle, then I give up.

Double checked I didn't fill with diesel, all ok.

So so I pushed it to a parking spot in the petrol station. Try a few more times, I can hear the fuel pump priming so I then get my phone out and call the breakdown people.

I only live 1 mile from there so I ran home and got some tools, run back and start checking things. I've got spark, spark plugs are clean and not wet so no flooding. My mind is going WTF!!

So so I pull the fuel supply line to the rail and put it into a coke bottle, I crank the car and fuel gushes out. So atleast the fuel pump works.

I then look at the fuel and it doesn't look right, it's all milky and doesn't smell right.

i go into the garage and say I think your fuel is ****ed!! The deputy manager looks at me knowingly, he goes into the office and comes out with some paper work.....Yep water is in their tanks!!!! He then goes to tell me they only had this fixed yesterday and it's happened again! So they know they've had a problem and not checked it again!! Pricks!!!

So i wait 3 hours for the recovery lorry, in the pooring rain, take it to my mates garage and leave it there.

I leave work early to go help my mate remove the fuel, and change the fuel filter. With new fuel it fired up straight away! They will be paying and compensating me a lot.

Im going to try for new injectors and fuel pump too as they were sitting in 70% water for 18hours.

For what it's worth it was tesco/esso fuel station in chippenham!! Super unleaded only affected!

Attachments

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Are they going to cover the costs? Rotten luck mate

Reaction score
Country
That's shocking mate, they are going to have a proper bill if others realise the cause of their brake downs.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
No engine damage yet! The occasional stutter, so think I may have damaged the fuel pump. So wil be claiming for that and injectors!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
can you claim me some injectors and a 2871 while you are at it? :p

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I am getting a quote from my tuner to fit nismo 550's and tweak the map as it will be cheaper than brand new injectors from nissan! They are £260 each!!

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's really bad Sam. Can't believe they didn't check the repair properly. Hope all works out for you.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Emails have been going back and forth now for a few days and safe to say it will be sorted and paid for by them. I have just filled in their backs reimbursement form and sent it off.
And will be in contact with horsham developments to get a new set of injectors and fuel pump fitted and mapped, which they will pay for.

I had no help from the store. It was only when i emailed the CEO of tesco that i had a phone call hours later! always worth going to the top first as **** flows downstream much faster!

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Country
Good shout on going straight to the CEO, rotten luck with the water in the pump though! I'm actually surprised they'd coping to it so willingly normally they'd run scared.

Saw a picture of a piston from a Toyota Engine that had sucked water in from a large puddle, con rod was bent to hell. Seems as though you had a close call!