What's new

Mild winter - so I started my auto-manual conversion

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Started the process of the manual conversion today - can't be bothered waiting for the engine any longer - Winter only lasted a week (so far) and the roads are good for driving.

(on that front - anyone in australia who knows roguepi from nissansilvia.com - could they go and give him a big kicking for me... 11 months and still no engine :( :( :(

The process was going quite well... until I dropped the bloody auto box on my foot... and then tried to struggle with the automatic conversion thingy that sits in the end of the crankshaft. NOTHING would move it - hydraulic method, pilot bearing pullers, slide hammer... not even a mm of movement. I learned a lot of new Russian words during the process :) None of which I could mention in polite company.

Ran into two new problems after that:

1. the new driveshaft is the wrong one - so doesn't fit... :( Now I am desperate for a spec S driveshaft if anyone has one PLEASE

2. the transmission mount crossmember is the wrong one - so tranny is just held in place with 2 bolts now.. If anyone could get me a part number for this I'd be really grateful as I'd like to order today from the office.

Apart from that - it was a great day and was nice to get started on the project again...

So... in summary - 3 requests:

1. cause some bodily harm the guy who didn't finish my engine
2. source a driveshaft
3. part number for manual transmission crossmember (spec S - 5 speed)

Cheers all....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Damn! Things just aren't going well :(

Not entirely sure which part you mean... You've got access to FAST now though :)

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
thanks.. I'll try to find it ... I had a look on my 'older version' of FAST and couldn't find it anywhere...

Basically it is the black piece of metal that the transmission mount attaches to that connects (via 4 bolts) to the chassis to hold the back of the transmission up.. kind of like a wing/wishbone shape. It is probably called something very strange in japanese :)

On a plus note - I found a place here that is going to make me a 1 piece steel driveshaft and they are coming round to measure up today... I wanted a 1 piece anyway - so that's a plus. Total cost will be about 250USD so not hideous either.

Weather here just took a turn for the colder (maybe -29 this week)... so perhaps this weekend I won't be finishing off the project as the place I'm working on the car isn't exactly well heated (doesn't even have electricity)!!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Good to hear you've made a start, and hope you get those things sorted (including the engine situation) :thumbs:

-29 is em.... brisk :D

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
What temps do you usally get over there?
We have had a very strange winter this year. Usually we get about -5 to -15 degrees C.
But this winter we got -5 to +10.

we got snow about 1-2 weeks ago and it's still holding on.

I might put my cat back on to make this nonsense stop :wack:
But I like warmer weather so might just remove it from all my cars :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
About 2.5hours south west of me :thumbs:

Works car park this morning :D, was good fun in the focus....

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
This has all been a bit off topic so -

Was out at lunch so took some pictures on my phone of the Focus :D

V

Vandal

You guys live in the wrong part of the world. It was 31C here today :p

In winter (which lasts about two months), it some times gets down to 5C. Brrrr.

L

Lee75

If i could move to some where warmer i would:nod:
Its just started snowing here this morrnig:rolleyes: