What's new

S15 engine removle

Reaction score
Country
Next week I have 5 days off work planing on removing the engine and changeling all the gaskets the putting it back in this time

How meany hours would people give for all this work so I know if it do able in 5 day thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I've taken alot of engines out but not a 15 one yet. Have you got a ramp? Or on axle stands? And what range of tools.
I would think half a day to get it out if you have a ramp. Otherwise I would give your self a day to get it out and a day to get it in. And 2 days with changing gaskets!

what gaskets you changing?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
The gearbox bolts will be the worst to get undone if you have no ramp. Assuming its a six speed! Maybe consider taking it all out in one.

Reaction score
Country
Iv got the use of a ramp and all the tools as I'm using a rent a ramp shop in emworth I also have a mechanic who will be helping and will be doing there hard bits x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
What gaskets? Seems like you are making a lot of work for yourself tbh. The engine comes out real easy anyway, hardest part is probably getting the wires off the starter. Definitely leave the box attached.

P

Phattony

It's easier to take it away from the box, just need to get some ratchet spanners to get the bell housing bolts out

Reaction score
Country
The gearbox bolts will be the worst to get undone if you have no ramp. Assuming its a six speed! Maybe consider taking it all out in one.
Definitely take it out in one. It is so much easier it's untrue.

What gaskets? Seems like you are making a lot of work for yourself tbh. The engine comes out real easy anyway, hardest part is probably getting the wires off the starter. Definitely leave the box attached.
You don't need to take the wires off the starter and alternator, unplug them at the fuse box end and undo the main power that goes into the fuse box. That'll take care of all the transmission wiring too.

Reaction score
Country
Engine out to change the gaskets??? As above remove the box with the engine as its far easier. Don't forget to unbolt the slave cylinder and any electrics to the box. We found it easier to get to the alternator wiring when we had begun to lift the engine out.

Reaction score
Country
You don't need to remove gearbox or alternator electrics if you disconnect at the fuse box end.

Reaction score
Country
It's easier to take it away from the box, just need to get some ratchet spanners to get the bell housing bolts out
Have fun putting it back in :D
I've done one engine in this way, and never again. All of my others (and there have been more than I remember over the last five years) have been with the box on.