What's new

Got my S15 today

Reaction score
was a serious drive bout 500 mile by time i got home but it got me used to sitting in her.No snow here yet the roads are a bit greasy with the grit and the odd night of tight frost.
Think im going to a jap meet tonight so will post photos up if rem to take a camera!!Oh yea put some up of my car for ya's.Happy days
Yea deff watching the rear at the mo just getting used to her awesome car!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I drove mine from Bristal to Aberdeen when i picked mine up, left Bristal.... maybe it was Brighton, which is really far south?...... anyway, i left at 3am to miss any traffic on the M25, took me 12.5 hours to get home :eek: :)

Reaction score
yours was from neweara yes? they're london based i believe... so brighton (chav style "safffend") sounds right...

but... there's an SVA centre at bristol i believe...

so could be either.

P

Paul-S15R

Went to Abbey M/S today to get an engine health check. On low boost (0.8 bar) hit 262hp/239lb/ft torque at the hubs. Quite happy with that as I think thats around 310hp/280lb/ft at the flywheel.

Was told I had a good strong engine by the technician and once on high boost (would need a new ecu), should hit the magic 300hp at the hubs, around 350/360 at the flywheel. Dodgy fuel pump prevented me from doing so this time round.

Last edited:
Reaction score
0.8 bar saw 262 at the wheels.... think they're havin' you on...

0.8 bar is stock boost... which would mean 262 at the fly.

nicely running 1.2bar makes 277 at the wheels.

Mine with bolt decat back, filter and FMIC made 270....

with stock turbo only bein good for 1.2bar tops, there's just no way you'd make 360 on it. head gasket change needed at that point too....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I tend to agree with Dazz0i, I'm afraid. No way you're going to get 262 on 0.8 bar :no: I got 280 on 1.2 bar and a custom mapping...

And, yep, the stock BB turbo is only good to around 290 @ the wheels/330 @ the fly. The non-BB is capable of less.

Go and compare your setup with some of the S14s on SXOC and you'll see how far out that is.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123910

Sorry to burst your bubble a bit, but best we are honest :)

P

Paul-S15R

Firstly do you guys know anything about dynapacks? They dyno higher then coventional roller dynos. This is because you remove the wheels and take the power reading directly from the hub. Probably the most accurate way of measuring an engines power aside from taking the engine out of the car to bench test it. This results in less tranny loss.

Stock boost is not 0.8 bar, Its actually around 0.55 bar.

At the end of the day, I only gave out those figures for other people to compare with. Abbey M/S is the best Nissan tuner in the UK bar none. Their knowledge of Nissan cars puts most tuners to shame. I highly doubt they would fudge their figures to please people. All the figures given by them are at the hubs, not flywheel.

Who knows accurately what the Silvias transmission loss is? Is it 25%? 35%? Who knows. Your guess is as good as mine, flywheel figures mean very little to me. Its a way for tuners to fudge numbers to please people in my opinion and there are far too many variables to consider. And you should never compare figures from alternative dynos, esp. people who give at the fly estimations. Comparing dyno dynamics, which is what surrey rolling road use or dynojet dynos, currently at janspeed with a dynapack is wrong. Thats basic tuning knowledge and I am surprised that you guys don't know this.

For a benchmark comparison, the new Nissan 350Z with the 300PS engine also made 262bhp and 237lb/ft at the hubs. This is extremely close to what I dynoed at.

Reaction score
stock boost is 0.55... where you get that from? i've never known of any S15 to make that little...

mine has always made 0.8/0.9 on stock solenoid....

as for the 350z, in standard form, they are more powerful than S15s... which would result in the differences.

i'd say you've been given fly figures rather than wheels. or abbey has extremely optimistic dynopac's....

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sorry. Reality check. Standard boost is 0.7 bar on the S15. The ACTUATOR allows 0.55 bar base boost. It also produced 250bhp at the fly as standard. This would have been the best figure Nissan measured DIRECT off the flywheel on the bench. It would have also been running on 100RON Jap fuel. That's around 210bhp at the wheels. There isn't a chance in hell that its going to run an extra 50bhp on a 0.1 bar boost increase. Your other mods won't produce a very big increase over standard.

As a comparison, one of the SXOC Mods got 264bhp at the hubs running 1.2 bar on Abbey's dynapack... And another ran 267 at 18.5psi on another Dynapack. Fly figures mean nothing to me either. That result is totally inconsistent with nearly all SR20DET results that I have seen over the past four years... Either their Dynapack was way out today, or your Profec is boosting much higher than its displaying... Or that was a fly figure.

And TBH, from the reports I've had off several highly respected S14 owners about their knowledge and standard of work, I wouldn't give Abbey the time of day, let alone waste the vast amounts of money they charge. There are much better Nissan tuners; its just that you may not have heard of them :nod: PTS for example...

I'm sorry if I sound a bit blunt, or I'm flaming. That's not my intention. :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
there is no way that them figures are right ive got more than that modded and i dont think even i have that cuz i got a fmic turbo elbow down pipe nismo cat bak hks actuator and a profec b running at 0.9boost...NO WAY:no:

P

Paul-S15R

I might post the graphs later on, but these are at the hub figures like i said.

Im not looking to cause an upset or anything but Im only stating what I got, if you doubt it, thats not really my problem.

Several guys have driven my car, including a couple of S14a owners and they say that my car feels incredibly strong for so little boost.
And, on a private track of course, I have raced and beaten a stage 1, 1 bar S14a with little trouble, so go figure. Either my car has something underneath the bonnet which I don't know about or Im imagining all this...

Regarding tuners, PTS? Again not to cause an argument here, but I wouldn't give them the time of day either, not after what they did to my mate's pulsar. You are talking about PTS in Luton right?

All tuners have their good and bad stories mate, and I have experienced it tuning my CTR, but from what I have seen and after speaking to them about taking the car further, they seem to know an awful lot about the car. Yes they are more expensive then others, but I believe you get what you pay for, like most things in life.

On a separate note, does anyone know where i can purchase a standard S15 ecu? I am thinking about letting Horsham have a go at mapping the car properly as this ecu is mapped quite strangely and has a sharpe drop from being safely rich to too lean on anything above 0.8 bar. Might be a fuel pump problem as Abbey said, but I don't think I can get what I want out of this car with the Orient Works Ecu.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it's not that we doubt the graph you have... just the info you've been told. to believe this because a printout says so.... is a little "blind" considering the fact we've all got S15's here... all running different spec's etc and got varied power figures..... but for you to believe you've got that sort of power is just stupid.

the S15's do pull alot harder than S14's anyhow... i've played with a few in the same sorta state of tune.

PTS that nicely speaks of is on down south, near brighton.

Abbey have a name for themselves in mag's but, mags are bias to the fact that they build awesome feature cars, look after staff on mag's then they're not quite sooooo keen on givin' that same service to the public.

i like where you're thinkin' with Jez though....i'm totally un-bias in this cause i've still not had my car mapped. but the way i see it, is ALOT of people have used him on SXOC without fault and customers are always extremely happy with his services. public reputation i think's better than big price tags and beaming mag' reports!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I don't want to get into details about Abbey, but I know four people, all with S14/as, all highly modified, and all say exactly the same thing about Abbey. Two are SXOC senior moderators, one is the SXOC chairman and the other runs a very well known UK Jap parts supplying company. In comparison, I haven't heard a bad word said about PTS (yes, near Brighton) by the many people who use them.

From the mods you have and the boost you're showing, you should be around 240 at the hubs or 270 at the fly. The S14/a run exactly the same engine as the S15. The only difference is the turbo on earlier S15s and coilpacks and mapping. All initial power differences are down to exhaust, boost and RON mapping. Power-wise, put an S14 and S15 with identical power together and the S15 would just have it, but that would be down to faster spool (if it had a T28BB), handling and weight. The S15 would feel quicker due to the BB turbo. I've run both. Both with nearly identical power.

ECU. Jez got one off Yahoo Auctions :) And you can't go wrong with one of his mappings :) :thumbs:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dynapacks are more accurate compared to rollers.

But still I think your figures are a bit high unless you have some "suprise mods" or they're flywheel horsies.
I guess that colder weather might add to the figures, but not that much or am I wrong?
My best bet is that you've got something under the hood you don't know about.

Doesn't really matter what exact hp figure you've got though.
As long as you are happy with the car I'm happy :)

A

Abbey m,/s

Hello.......well wouldnt take me long to see someone isnt saying the right things about Abbey.

Re the S15 we ran on Saturday....

1, the car is running very very lean , so this will make the car run a lot more BHP than a properly tuned car. It dets terrible at anything over 0.9 bar boost , From what I jave heard it has only every run 0.8ish bar boost in Japan because that what was the Profec A boost controller was set up at when it arrived in the UK. I think the ECU has just be mapped for around 0.8 bar not 1.0/1.2bar boost

2, Our Dyno is "optimistic", well we have run quite a few cars over the year inc S14/A,s and we are 100% happy with the figures we see. A STD 14 runs 180 bhp axle @ 0.6 bar boost so around 200 flywheel on our DYNAPACK.

3, I had told the customer that the fuel pump could be the problem as running more boost makes the car run leaner, In my opinon this is a fuel pump problem not a Mapping problem.

4, A std 350Z runs 325bhp Axle BHP this equates to approx 360 bhp flywheel. Not 262 axle bhp as Paul has quoted above on this thread.

Profec is boosting much higher than its displaying...
Yep when I ran the car 1st run the boost controller showed 1.0 bar the dyno showed 1.2 bar.....I had to adjust the off-set on the Profec A boost controller.

Abbey have a name for themselves in mag's but, mags are bias to the fact that they build awesome feature cars, look after staff on mag's then they're not quite sooooo keen on givin' that same service to the public
You never see a car built spec for a feature all the cars in the magazines are customers cars.

BTW sorry Hi I am Mark from Abbey Motorsport , just clearing up a few niggles that have I been told off within the Tuning world......

Markie Mark

P.S your welcome to fire any questions that you have at me , even on this thread and I will answer them.