What's new

LSD

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
just wondering if the spec R comes fitted as standard with an LSD.

i usually go to the "free to diff" events, basicly keeping everyone off the road and in a controlled space free to diff/drift. usually there'll be evo's M3's and lots of bmw325i's BUT NO S15's just thinking how gud it will be to be in something 'differant' for a change.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The Spec R 6MT come fitted with the Helical LSD as standard. In terms of its efficiency, its streets ahead of the Viscous LSD fitted to the S14 and Spec S (and Spec R 4AT). However, in terms of drifting, you'd want to change it... Fooking fabulous for track though :nod:

M

MazzyMan

Yup stock comes with a low percentage locking LSD...good for normal use but you cant get more from it when you need it :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its crap for drifting :nod:

Mazzy - What diff are you running? I was thinking of changing to a 1.5way, Nismo or the likes, but i drive mostly on bumpy country roads and do the odd trackday, although would get into drifting a little more once the 1.5way was fitted :D - So my question is, how would it be suited to my bumpy roads?

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you gotta love the 'tail out fun' greassy roads and an old bmw325i (thats about as much RWD happy as ive got. how well does the s15 balance itself when making a "sudden U-turn".hehe. is it a stable car mid drift even though it has 250bhp as standard.

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
of course safe and controlled is my middle name.hehe. but you gotta admit theres nothing wrong with a spot of late night road marking, you just cant arrive to a diff/drift day with no practice you'll be laughed out.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've seen the result of practice drifting over on SXOC... Everyone thinks they are D1 potential right up till they kerb or wrap around a lamp post :(

I'm not keen on it, but empty car park practice is more preferable. Sorry, its my age showing through. That and having seen SXOC people do the same thing with S13s and S14s for the past four years...

Reaction score
i'm with nicely on this one..... i paid too much of my own good money to try risking my car on the roads.... i'm ok with saying, i'm no drifter at all, so won't be going thinkin' i am.

i wouldn't mind a play about, but as said, big wide open space! :)

M

MazzyMan

Its crap for drifting :nod:

Mazzy - What diff are you running? I was thinking of changing to a 1.5way, Nismo or the likes, but i drive mostly on bumpy country roads and do the odd trackday, although would get into drifting a little more once the 1.5way was fitted :D - So my question is, how would it be suited to my bumpy roads?
Frankly if you track more than drift...go for 1.5way. They work much better. As for bumpy roads it might just start to clank a little more...as in you will hear them work more often.

I am running Cusco RS (i think its this model) 2way...knocks the **** out of my brains everytime i get behind the wheels! Freaking noisy! :(:(

D

Derek

I am running Cusco RS (i think its this model) 2way...knocks the **** out of my brains everytime i get behind the wheels! Freaking noisy! :(:(
I've the same in mine now, I drive car everyday and have never had it on track cos it costs to much to ruin it. The only bit of diffing i'll do is car parks. 2 way are good. Noisy can get on nerves a bit.. Freaks the fook outta passengers who think the rear axle is about to fall off..

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
it is a scary noise indeed, i had the poop scared outta me last year, was in a lads skyline and went out for a spot of "day time road marking" and every time it locked i just thought aaah the back ends falling off.hehe.

M

MazzyMan

Sadly...everyone standing around when i try to make a turn thinks my car is going to break apart! Hahah

M

MazzyMan

Would running a 1.5way be tail happy for fast road driving? I dont want to go through a hedge :no:
Nope...1.5way LSD are fine for everyday drive and great for track days. Yup...you will sure get used to it and understand how it works for your ride.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thanks guys, i have been in need of some pushing, now just need to save for one. Any recomendations?

M

MazzyMan

Yup Kaaz is absolutely fine. Just wished that Nismo would sell theirs cheaper! Real good stuff.

P

Paul-S15R

Just wondering if the stock Helical LSD is meant to last for the lifetime of the car?