What's new

How practical is owning an S15?

B

BlueBoot

I'm going to University in February next year and while I'm in the Residential Colleges, I'm planning to save more money up in order to import a Japan Spec-R S15.

The question is, how practical is it to own an S15? How is the fuel economy? Should I be concerned of constant mechanical problems or does the Internet exaggerate on the frequency of SR20 engines breaking?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Very! they are awesome and very reliable and have good fuel economy for a 2.0L turbo

Mine is extremely modified but still standard engine running 335 bhp ive been drifting it for 5 years and for 3 years of that it was also my daily driver.

MPG (uk figures) i get 32 on the motorway and 28 combined

Reaction score
Country
Perfectly fine as an every day car. Mine breaks all the freakin time though.

When all's said and done though, you are only a young student once, **** saving to buy an old Nissan, waste it on booze, drugs and women.

Reaction score
I would say they are great as a daily. Mines been very reliable, had to replace the starter motor and a rear wheel bearing but that's it, otherwise it's only been service parts or modifications. Had some issues with aftermarket suspension but you can't really count that.

Reaction score
Just remembered I did have to do the turbo gaskets as well, but I bought it knowing they needed doing.

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
I'v been using mine as a daily for the last 2 years, no issues what so ever and even though my NA is not as economic as the turbo, its still decent on fuel which alot of people don't realise! Will be upgrading to turbo soon though so only set to improve

Reaction score
Country
I'm going to University in February next year and while I'm in the Residential Colleges, I'm planning to save more money up in order to import a Japan Spec-R S15.

The question is, how practical is it to own an S15? How is the fuel economy? Should I be concerned of constant mechanical problems or does the Internet exaggerate on the frequency of SR20 engines breaking?
What planet are you on? If owning and using an S15 is such a bad idea and total moneypit, why do SO many people around the world choose to own and drive them quite happily? If the S15 was a lemon then no one would own one. Man up, save your pocket money and buy one when you can afford it, fill it with fuel when it's empty and ENJOY the car.

Reaction score
Country
I agree with Clarkey 100%. College kids cannot park and you will have hella door dings and scratches on your car. Or the infamous "rich daddy's girl" who love to swing that door wide open without a care in the world mess your s**t up. Just buy a beater. Also, sr20s you hear breaking here and there all the time are usually kids who buy a SR20 and think they can just swap their engine out and go run the piss out of it esp. without checking the torque specs. My favorite is, "This is my 2nd SR that spun a rod bearing, SRs suck!" Then you find out they try to drift a stock Sr20 without any mods.

Reaction score
Country
Save your money. You're in college, try coming out debt free. When you're finished and have a working career, buy a car that you want. You'll have the added money if (and when) something goes south.

And this is coming from someone who sold their S14 during his first year of college. I cashed out, and saved up and bought parts while at school.

Reaction score
Country
I agree with Clarkey 100%. College kids cannot park and you will have hella door dings and scratches on your car. Or the infamous "rich daddy's girl" who love to swing that door wide open without a care in the world mess your s**t up. Just buy a beater. Also, sr20s you hear breaking here and there all the time are usually kids who buy a SR20 and think they can just swap their engine out and go run the piss out of it esp. without checking the torque specs. My favorite is, "This is my 2nd SR that spun a rod bearing, SRs suck!" Then you find out they try to drift a stock Sr20 without any mods.
Hmm wut? The huge majority of drifted SR20's are unopened, even those with turbo upgrade etc.. Unfortunately they are fairly fragile that's just the reality of it. Having said that, they are specced to have 3000 mile oil changes, how many have been maintained that frequently ever since new? Busted bottom ends are usually from bad tuning.

Reaction score
Country
Very reliable, had my s15 for 4 years, no problems at all. Hard not to want to modify it for more power ect. If you can afford to buy it why wait, lean to drive it at its limit while at school, then spend money on it whe you finish. WINNING