What's new

Anyone had troubles with factory headlights?

Reaction score
Country
First and foremost, I'm new here, and stumbled upon the forum while searching for an answer to my huge issue. I thought maybe a group of s15 owners like yourselves could help a guy like me.

Back to the task at hand.

Reason I ask is because I just bought my s15 spec r aero from Saskatchewan, drove it back to British Columbia, and had it inspected and insured successfully. Except for today I got a phone call from the shop that did the inspection, they were phoned by CVSE because my headlights aren't DOT/SAE approved.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their cars? And if so where did you find new lights that were dot compliant?

I need replies as soon as I can, as this is now a case with CVSE and I may not be able to drive my car without resolving this issue. Thank you for any input you have, may it be constructive.

This his is how I feel right now.... :annoyed::furious:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well that sounds odd! Most of us guys are in the uk and Australia/new Zealand so have no issues with headlights as we are RHD here.

Are they LHD headlights? Or RHD?

Reaction score
Country
They are rhd headlights, I haven't been able to find a set that are led and dot/SAE compliant. At least that aren't under $1,000 CAD. Haha the ones I've found have the cross beam pattern switch or whatever it is that changes between left hand and right hand. But figured out that all I have to do is retro fit some random headlights in there so they can aim up down left and right, and are low/high beam. Then also have to fit in some corner blinkers that I found off of a cavalier bahah... Oh got. Silvia, I am sorry. Least it'll only be for one day.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If they are factory headlights they will be SAE compliant. I have a feeling the guy looking at it has no idea. They should have the correct markings on the lenses.

Reaction score
Country
There aren't the correct SAE or dot markings on the light. He also didn't like them because there weren't any reflectors or corner blinkers in the headlight itself. The guy was just the worst possible guy to run into.

Reaction score
Country
they will be compliant as they are made to standards which all most cars are and then shipped all over the world, nissan didnt just get stupid for a moment and forget to make this car compliant to international standards

second that meddler said the guy looking at it prob just hates "ricer" (thats what all USA/CANADA call anything performance other then a euro or V8) so he just found a problem that does not exist.

Just clean them up really good, adjust the beam to suit then go see another person to get confirmation.

Reaction score
Country
they will be compliant as they are made to standards which all most cars are and then shipped all over the world, nissan didnt just get stupid for a moment and forget to make this car compliant to international standards

second that meddler said the guy looking at it prob just hates "ricer" (thats what all USA/CANADA call anything performance other then a euro or V8) so he just found a problem that does not exist.

Just clean them up really good, adjust the beam to suit then go see another person to get confirmation.
Well yeah probably but I'm in a situation where I have to report back to the same place I had it inspected the first time around. I've tried explaining that there aren't any aftermarket lenses for the car that comply with dot specs, being the only thing missing is a corner reflector on the lens itself, and don't go saying just apply some reflective tape on the corner because that won't work :/ still doesn't have dot markings, therefore, not legal, just to quote what the CVSE guy would say. But I appreciate anything you guys are saying to try help me out. But I think I fixed it all up. Just made some rickety old thing to fit in the headlight spot and voila, inspection tomorrow. Wish me luck. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead but what headlights did you use as a replacement? Or anybody know what DOT/SAE headlights could be use as a replacement?