What's new

clunk from the left rear

Reaction score
Country
Recently I started to notice sometimes when I take a left turn or exit a roundabout it sounds like something is tapping the body in the left hand rear of the car loud enough that I can hear it over the exhaust but not really loud

At first I thought it was the jack tapping onto the rear quarter & it sounds like an object hitting onto the outer panel but the jack is secure & as it only happens on left turns it couldn't be that, I cant see anything obvious wrong & it goes away sometimes & then happens every significant left turn for a while it also the first time it happened I was gently exiting a roundabout as I remember.

Seems its nothing too major, theres no other symptoms but thought id ask to see if anyone else has had this, give me an idea what it might be??

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
Check the heat shield just on front of the back box, iv noticed mine is very close to the exhaust and has hit the odd time when turning left. Then again it wouldn't give a "clunk" sound.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
yeah ive noticed the last month or so my exhaust does seem to sound like its flexing a bit & sounds like its vibrating off the rear bumper a bit when im sitting in traffic sometimes. Will check it out, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Theres plenty of clearance between the backbox & the heatsheild & all the hangers are on, I pushed & pulled the exhaust around but it doesn't seem to move much. /

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I already checked the LH rear top mount, seems tight. I did a video weaving left & right to make the noise happen, if it happens, it happens when I go left, sometimes it doesn't happen
[video]http://s3.photobucket.com/user/AgtX2003/media/VIDEO0022_02.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Had it checked in a garage & they found the left hand rear bearing is in dangerous condition, hopefully that is somehow the thing that's causing the knock. It passed its MOT 6 months ago, strange it deteriorated so quickly.

Reaction score
Country
Got the bearing replaced, clunk stopped for 6 days & now its back, weird.

Reaction score
Country
have you inspected the CV joint, as they are a 3 ball they don't really like being in a different position from he factory ( a lowered car) they can wear slightly and then move a bit out-of-round causing clunking.
jack up the rear of your car and see if the shaft has play front to back then up and down, then compare this play with the right side.

Reaction score
Country
This has now randomly stopped. So it never stopped before I got the bearing done, then for 5 days after the new bearing it didn't clunk, then it started again & 5 days later it's stopped, weird.

Reaction score
Country
stopping does not necessary mean its fixed, a new noise may start meaning whats wearing has worn down and something new will start wearing.
have you inspected all the bushes on all the arms? given the axle a bit of a shake?

Reaction score
Country
took it to a garage, didn't find anything & weeks later hasn't come back....yet!