What's new

Finally have my s15

Reaction score
Country
Well after waiting over 6 weeks for customs to clear the car for registration i finally picked it up today from Torque GT.
Very happy with the car. Needs a few bits of bodywork doing but im happy. Been dealing with Darren since i bought the car and he has been great! I seen Mike today though as Darren wasnt there and he was great too, highly recommend them :)
However it does have some other niggles though which i need advice on
1st problem is the gear gaitor surround. The gaitor just keeps popping out! Looks like the base doesnt even having any locking tabs to hold it in place. Is this normal?
Another problem is the central locking. The lock switch on the control panel unlocks/locks the passenger door but not the drivers on the inside. Also the fob doesnt lock/unlock the drivers door on the inside either. Surely that isnt right?
And lastly i think it has a noisy wheel bearing. Had a droaning noise all the way home which was over 3 hours away. What they like to replace on the front and rear?
Cheers guys :)

Reaction score
Country
Think ive had abit of a dumb dumb moment with the central locking issue, i tried it whilst i was driving so i think it was the anti hijack stopping the door opening as i had a Toad ai606 alarm fitted

Reaction score
Country
Yes mine has the gaiter thing, keeps popping out.

When I got the car, no central locking apart from the passenger door, there is no mechanism in the drivers door. Had a Cat1 alarm/immobiliser fitted & the guy hooked up the drivers central locking for me while he was at it.

Also still had a jap radio in it, so only picked up radio 2 so had to buy a new one, could have just bought a band expander but preferred a new one.

Reaction score
Country
Congrats on picking it up dude, that anticipation is killer lol. See your from the West Midlands Nath, I'm based in Wolverhampton.

Front Wheel bearings are the common ones to go, and are expensive as you have to buy the whole hub unit. About £400 iirc. I replaced mine a few months ago. The job itself isn't that bad, and lots of guides on the net. Mine only needed one replacing but did both, so I do have a good one spare that id probably sell, drop me a message if you confirm it's a front one.

Look forward to seeing pics of her!

Reaction score
Country
Would s14 hubs fit? If so a second hand one from a breaker could get you going for a fraction of the cost.

Reaction score
Country
Yes mine has the gaiter thing, keeps popping out.

When I got the car, no central locking apart from the passenger door, there is no mechanism in the drivers door. Had a Cat1 alarm/immobiliser fitted & the guy hooked up the drivers central locking for me while he was at it.

Also still had a jap radio in it, so only picked up radio 2 so had to buy a new one, could have just bought a band expander but preferred a new one.
Any idea how to fix the gaiter base as it gets very annoying tbh
Unfortunately mine doesnt have a radio at all so had to listen to my mates music on his phone lol. What are good double din stereo's?

Congrats on picking it up dude, that anticipation is killer lol. See your from the West Midlands Nath, I'm based in Wolverhampton.

Front Wheel bearings are the common ones to go, and are expensive as you have to buy the whole hub unit. About £400 iirc. I replaced mine a few months ago. The job itself isn't that bad, and lots of guides on the net. Mine only needed one replacing but did both, so I do have a good one spare that id probably sell, drop me a message if you confirm it's a front one.

Look forward to seeing pics of her!
I was starting to lose interest in it and contemplated selling it and getting a evo 8 but im glad i have it now :)
Oh you're not too far from me then, im only from Cannock
£400! Damn! I wouldve thought Torque GT would have picked up the noisy wheel bearing when they picked it up and inspected it :( Yeah PM me a price on the hub please Dave! Otherwise the noise is gona drive me mad lol
The car is totally stock atm so nothing special at all :)

Would s14 hubs fit? If so a second hand one from a breaker could get you going for a fraction of the cost.
I havent got a clue tbh Chris, if u can fit the S15 brakes onto it then im sure u can use a s14 on a s15. Although all of the breakers by me have micra's and corsa's so no chance of finding a s14 lol

Reaction score
Country
Yes Chris good shout, almost everything chassis wise is the same as S14.

The majority of S14/S15 owners just find a second hand one from a breaker, at the time i wanted to do mine there wasn't any about :(

Nath, not far at all :nod: i have a good few friends from Cannock/Penkridge, and used to 'frequent' the infamous Orboring haha. £50 for the complete hub if your interested, seems to be the going rate.

Like i said, it's an easy enough job, bolt off-bolt on. im sure it took me less than half a day to do both fronts.

Basic guide from memory:

-Crack wheel nuts
-Jack car up
-Remove wheel
-Remove dust cover from hub
-refit wheel
-lower car off jack
-crack the big hub nut
-jack car up once again
-remove wheel
-remove brake caliper and disc
-knock hub off the stub axle
-slide new hub on
-re-install hub nut
-refit wheel
-lower car off jack
-tighten hub nut
-jack car up
-remove wheel
-install dust cover to hub
-re-install wheel
-lower car off jack
-grab a beer - your done :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Ahhh yes, the orbiting ;) used to be crazy busy but its dead now on the weekends due to a few deaths and an injunction on it now
Will let you know if i want it. Gona jack the car up tomorrow and spin the wheels to see if it is the wheel bearing. Hopefully its the tyres though as they are stepped
Thanks very much for the guide! Will be using my snap on battery gun so the bolts/nuts should fly off, hopefully :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Another problem is the central locking. The lock switch on the control panel unlocks/locks the passenger door but not the drivers on the inside.
Welcome.... This is normal operation

Reaction score
Country
Oddly my central locking only operates the drivers door not the passenger. I like to think of it as hijacking protection. My girlfriend however is less impressed haha. Also Camskill do a rear wheel bearing kit for £46

Reaction score
Country
My S15 only had the mechanism for central locking built into one door. The guy who fit my alarm said he could add another motor to the other door but I haven't yet. Doesn't bother me except when I unlock the passenger side door to get something out the glove box and then can't lock it from that side again. Have to go back round the driver's side and unlock/relock :no:

Reaction score
Country
My central locking seems to intermittantly unlock/lock the doors. Sometimes when i start driving the doors lock, then at times it doesnt. Also when i remove the key after driving the door unlock, again sometimes they dont. Quite strange tbh
Luckily though it seems the noise isnt being caused by a wheel bearing. The tyres are all stepped on the inner edges so they are probably the noise of the noise :) Just trying to decide on a new set of wheels now to replace the crappy stock 16's

Reaction score
Country
Meant remote locking. Central locking does work, but only with the key used in the drivers door