What's new

Shifting advice S15. Just curious.

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

Maybe another silly question from me, but I love my S15 to bits.

I was out an about today giving the S15 a bit of a run and I shifted a few times from 1st to 2nd at 5000rpm or just over. Is this a resonable rpm to change in 1st, if your giving it the beans and can the cars engine take it?

(I assume these engines can handle these high rpm's in low gears)

Or what do you guys shift at when you race about?

Any advice would be appreciated. Im a bit of a worrier when it comes to my car lol ;)

Thanks again guys.

Regards

Ash

John-

Reaction score
Country
As long as it's maintained well you could redline all the gears without much worry! 5k gear changes are more than safe!

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys, really appreciate your feedback.

Its all good to know.

You know what its like, you have a car you love and do become quite attached to it, therefore more worried about doing something incorrectly with it.

Thanks again and hope your enjoying this weather with your cars ;)

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_500 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
You have no worries with the engine if it is well maintained. I generally put the foot down when in 2nd or 3rd gear and change around 5/6k because I have always had it in my head that 1st/2nd gears are the weakest so never abuse them. But that's just me! :p

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I like to enjoy my car, if it breaks upgrade =D . Know what you mean though have had mine a while and don't want to mess it up! As long as you aren't bouncing the limiter it's all good! Love the feeling of the arse getting light higher up the rev range too ha h
Cheers buddy! Hope you are too

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is more then safe, you are still well below the factory rev limiter and they are an engine that can rev to 7K rpm comfortably...

Reaction score
Country
its not what rev you change its how fast you force the syncro to mesh with the gear you are trying to go too, they are always getting speed up to match a gear as you release the clutch any gearbox is the same, its how fast they have to match the gear as they have to disperse the thin layer of oil under them to do this, "double clutching" is a great way of bringing your engine speed close to your new gear speed to help reduce the amount of force required to match syncro to gear

Reaction score
Country
Driving blind is a good way to reduce wear on your headlight bulbs too. Double clutching a constant mesh box is as ridiculous as that.

Reaction score
Country
Driving blind is a good way to reduce wear on your headlight bulbs too. Double clutching a constant mesh box is as ridiculous as that.
watch the foot work on this clip it will help explain what it is why why its a very good idea, lets call it heel-toe so its understood and not taken just on the english words of "Double Clutching"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
You realize that is not double clutching though, right.
Yes it is. Heel toe shifting is double clutching while braking. It is in every way double clutching. The reason the heel of the right foot blips the throttle is to rev match the engine side of the gearbox to the driveline side - the definition of double clutching

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
No, rev matching and double clutching are different things. Heel toe is single declutching, blipping the engine with the clutch disengaged will do nothing for the input shaft speed.

Reaction score
Country
No, rev matching and double clutching are different things. Heel toe is single declutching, blipping the engine with the clutch disengaged will do nothing for the input shaft speed.
Have you ever driven a truck with a dog box?

Reaction score
Heal toe is rev matching the engine with the gearbox speed which puts less pressure on your clutch as it takes up and input shaft. Double clutching is first push to take it out of gear and second push as you move from neutral to the next gear selected....was used in the days before syncro cones were used in gearboxes

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Going down the box then heel and toe is definitely a smoother and easier way of changing gear (if the pedal position allows) but changing up is not necessary as senna proves in that video. The first shift looks like double clutching but he actually misses the gear change. all his other up shifts are standard changes. Great vid too :)

Reaction score
Country
Yea I just watched the video properly and to be fair it isn't the best example. Heel toe SHOULD be double clutching

Reaction score
Country
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should
year........... just watched that the other day... soo much cheese bit its still cool, what i really want to know is how does a shot of nos blow the welds on the intake? and how does double clutching help you in a drag race.....

Last edited: