What's new

Going to view a new car next week - Any Advice?

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

Im going to go and look at a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo next week, as Ive always been a big fan of them and Skyline R34's.

Main reason i want to go and see it, is that its an ex show car and was featured in Japanese performance magazine and looks preety good. Especially with 350bhp ;)

Its with a trader and his asking price at the moment is £8900

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/2/postcode/rg128lz/radius/100?logcode=p

However Im not too sure whether its as good as my car, condition wise. A lot of work and effort has gone into restoring my S15 Spec S and it has a lot of high quality rare parts fitted, plus it has been very well maintained. Service every 6 months etc.

A few of my mates had given me there feedback and they think the Supra's nice, but it just doesnt have the same feel to it as my car. They think mines really well presented in comparison.

So any advice on this new car would be greatly appreciated and your thoughts!

Also any pointers on what to look out for when viewing it. I know this is not the Supra forum, but you guys might have an idea of general things to check.

Regards

Ash

Reaction score
Country
Will be a hell of a lot faster. Is hoi check it and try and find a build thread. Looks nice only let down is its auto

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It will be miles better than your car! By about 500miles!

I miss my supra as it drove so nicely, not rattley and cheap feeling! And a turbo would be perfect!

Yours is a spec s, if it was a well sorted spec r I would find it difficult to choose, but a slow spec s or a fast supra..... Easy

as things to look out for, rusty brake lines, clutch judder equaling new dual mass flywheel. New Cambelt etc is a defo needed to be done, arms knocking as bushes in the top arms wear out around 100k, front crankshaft pulley failure (the rubber perishes and falls off web driving and cost £450 for new one) and starter motor failing to engage.

I had mine for 5 years and loved it!

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Supra looks abit over the top for my liking and not sure I'd like the auto box, but that's my personal preference. I've always fancied a supra myself but they seem massive and would be a totally different drive to the S15.

Best of both worlds drop a 2JZGTE in your S15 :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Not sure on the kit imo but loving the targa top! And that does look like a very clean and well looked after car especially the age of it :)

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

Cheers for the feedback.

Only things that i could see in the photos that made me wonder though were the image of the rear alloy, did it seem a bit rusty around that area to you guys?

Also the image of the front bumper, the radiator top left seems to be filled with something, as though its been repaired.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_500 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Looks a lot more dated than an s15, the interior is nasty in the one you've linked to. The wheels need sorting it's an auto etc etc. The only thing I like about that supra is the engine and at only 350bhp that's not exactly great either.

Reaction score
Supra's have not aged well, they were always an ugly car though. The body kit is horrible and the wheels look cheap too, so I'm not sure what it's purpose was as a show car especially when it's only 350bhp, which is nothing for that engine. I'm not saying they're bad cars, I'm saying that particular car looks like something out of the first Fast and Furious film, awful, just awful.

Reaction score
Country
That looks awful, if you're going to buy one that at least get a nice clean example.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I think the supra is a beautifully designed car, the lines just flow! But yes it is old! The S15 will never look as outdated as that! ;)

Reaction score
Country
Why does it seen supra owners always put the worst steering wheels on their cars, a drift wheel fair enough but those monstrosities are just gash

Reaction score
Country
Why does it seen supra owners always put the worst steering wheels on their cars, a drift wheel fair enough but those monstrosities are just gash
The dash makes it feel like a fighter jet cockpit lol. They must want to top it all off

Reaction score
Country
with any of the 2j powered ones (turbo or non turbo), look for burning oil on startup. most 2js do this due to leaking steam seals as the cars approach the 180-200ks mark, so most supra owners always run the car and then stop it just before you go to buy to get rid of the oil thats leaked into the cylinders, if they are bad then if you are idling at the lights and then move off you will also see it.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah so I went too look at that red toyota supra today that was priced at £11000.

Very nice condition for a car so old. Only issue I had was that the car would not turn over intially, even though the guy at the garage told me it had been on eariler this morning.

He then went on to state that the car was running rich, which might be why it does not turn over properly all the time if left to sit for a while. (I found this hard to believe)

If your going to try and sell a car to someone, knowing there coming to view, you could atleast prepare it prior.

I did also contact Jez at Horsham Developments and he said it could possibly be it running rich, but then again he would have had to look at it closely to be sure. Which is fair enough.

So in the end I decided to call it a day and Im most likely going to get in contact with Harlow Jap Motors to import a car, as they were most helpful when I enquired yesterday.

For the time being though, im happy to stick with my Nissan Silvia, as she is still doing me proud ;)

Reaction score
Country
you should buy that spec R that's on gum tree or B9NKO's yellow one, that's fresh and a good base to work from unless you really don't want another s15?