What's new

Help and advise needed by you guys!!!

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

As some of you may be aware, a while back I purchased a Tomei expreme ti exhaust system for my Spec S, I purchased the S14 version for the extra length and spent around £1000 on it.

Now 5 months later the exhaust developed a crack in the centre pipe at the muffler end. I firstly contacted Amber performance the UK company I bought it from and they told be to contact Tomei direct, which I thought was strange as my contract is with them.

So I contacted Tomei direct and requested a replacement exhaust and compnesation for the labour required by my garage to re-install £75 total. They then wrote back and told me that the exhaust system did not carry a warranty and could not provide compensation. But they did kindly send out a replacement exhaust.

Whilst this was going on, Amber Performance told me that driving my car back and fourth to work for the time being would be ok. Which i did as my S15 is my daily. However on the way to work last week the exhaust snaped in two, luckily causing no damage.

At this stage I was preety annoyed and sent a more stern email back to amber performance stating a section of the Sales Of Goods act and that I had spoken to my solicitor about this issue.

They then asked me about my engine, which is a SR20DE.

To which I then got the following email back:

Thanks for getting back to me. We only list the Tomei Extreme Ti exhausts to fit the SR20DET, not the SR20DE. We have never tried or know anybody that has tried the system on a non turbo car. It’s very possible that the downpipe and cat send the centre pipe out of line, therefore casing the welds to crack, as the engine moves.

The warranty should really only cover the SR20DET engine, rather than any other model that the exhaust is not listed for.

You have not mentioned in the warranty claim form about the difference in the engines, and if they had known i wonder if Tomei would have warranted the product at all.

Now dont get me wrong, but isnt the SR20DE a very similar layout?

Plus the fact that I had been advised by Jez at Horsham Developments before fitting this exhaust and everything checked out fine.

And I really cant see the downpipe and CAT causing it to crack that badly. The CAT im using is standard, but my exhaust header is an aftermarket Fujitsubo.

Really not sure where I stand now in terms of the compensation.

Any help or advise on this would be appreciated!

Regards

Ash

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only difference between aftermarket exhausts for sr20de is the diameter of the pipe. The sr20det exhausts will normally be 3 inches while the sr20de would be 2.5 or 2 inches in diameter. As for the cat, it's in exactly the same place as the turbo model as is the front section after the turbo of course. There is no way it would cause the welds to crack like he is saying. Unless of course the welds were bad as it seems they are. I've had a few different turbo exhausts on my spec s and the only problem I encountered was when I hit the centre box off a speed ramp and damaged it. There's no way that the car being non turbo caused the issues. I'd be major pissed off if it was me!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well surely the Downpipe is different? As you have no turbo?

But I'm assuming your calling it something different, so have you Got any pics of it?

Where did it snap? And did tomei warranty it or just charge you for a new one?

Reaction score
Country
The exhaust itself snapped in two and it was on one of the welds near to the muffler end.

I contacted tomei and they sent me a replacement.

However, due to it being a manufacturing defect i was appealing for compensation with the Uk company Amber Performance to get the new exhaust refitted at a cost of £78.

Amber performance are now refusing due to it being fitted to a sr20de instead of a sr20det. Claiming that the downpipe and cat caused the crack, which i personally think is rubbish.

Considering when i originally purchased the exhaust, they told me it would be fine on my s15.

Which has near the same layout as the sr20det.

Plus i had it fitted by Jez at horsham developments, who advised me during fitting and also agreed that it was a welding issue.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_500 using Tapatalk