What's new

Rocker cover painting, help please

Reaction score
Country
My friend is powder coating my rocker cover and a few other bits for me this week but isn't sure whether you need to remove the small plastic bit thats riveted on the underside. He's concerned that it might melt when they bake it in the oven, but i would have thought it gets pretty hot anyway being in the engine!?? Im not really sure what it is, presume its just a breather. Just wondered if anyone on here has had their rocker cover done, and if they bothered removing theirs?

(The small rectangular bit)
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Country
its just a oil vapour condensation drain, melt it dont melt it, no biggy really as long there is a hole there any excess can drip back through.
of you could just go back and forth over the paint with one of those portable gas torches to slowly cure the paint, which is what ive done in the past

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the info :), looks like its going in the oven tomorrow then!

Reaction score
Country
what temp is the oven? it will prob be fine as plastic inside a engine like that is not going to be crap anyway

Reaction score
Country
That's what I thought, should be pretty heat resistant. He said it gets up to about 200 degrees in there but can keep taking it out to check it

Reaction score
Country
If you are media blasting the cover make sure you block all the breathers and oil filler hole to stop media getting stuck inside the cover.

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
As above if its been shot/sand blasted and powder coated make sure all holes are filled and none of it reaches or touches the inside of the rocker cover because it will f*** your engine, seen so many idiots doing this to people...

Reaction score
Country
Thanks guys, yeh i have read some stories about people having engine trouble after shot blasting etc. He has ensured me that everything will be properly masked off or plugged before they touch it, he's a good guy so i know he won't bodge it or cut corners. May get him to send me a pic once its all masked up thought just to check!

Reaction score
Country
Oh and if you get any 'overspray' on the underneath, get a bit of nitromors and it'll pull it straight off. Just dont get it on the front or it'll pull that off too