What's new

Why are s15 so expensive?

Reaction score
Country
As per the title really, i just dont get it!

its not like there aren't many in the country, and they can't have been that much when they were new, but the cheapest S15 on pistonheads currently is £8000, for a car that 12 years old now! im not having moan, as i would love too have one, as i had a 14a, but im really trying too justify on why i would spend 10k on a 12+ year old car? i mean for that sort of money i know i can get something else.just abit torn. but as said Most are hovering around the 10k mark!?!

Now i know the s15 was never sold in the UK so they're all imports

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I think the two main factors are rarity and maintaining high resale values.

In comparison to S13s and S14s, they are still quite rare in the UK. And unlike S13/S14 owners, most S15 owners tend to be quite patient selling their cars. If most sellers are willing to wait for a higher price, the resale values will remain high. If you really want an S15, you'll pay the price or give-up and buy a Scooby. Sale and demand. It's still the S15 seller's market. Conversely, S13/S14 owners want a sale yesterday and would rather drop their price than wait. The average resale price gets cheaper and cheaper until you can pick one up for a tenner and two packets of crisps. Well and truly a buyer's market. This is why many S13/S14 owners will break the car for parts rather than sell it; the parts are worth more.

Reaction score
Country
I think it also depends what you are looking for, when i bought mine i had set out a budget of £9000. Generally all the higher spec ones seem to be about 9-10k, all the ones i found for less where either poor conditions (ex track/ drift use) or like my own fairly standard. It might be worth waiting til a bit after xmas/ new year as i tried selling mine but not many people have money to throw at cars this time of the year, hence i am going to try and resell mine early spring time.

I would take an offer on mine though if your interested http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?11440-2002-Nissan-Silvia-Spec-R-60k :rolleyes::D

Reaction score
Country
S15's are cheap for what they are, it wont be long and there will be very few for sale around.
this has already happened with s13's here in ireland, this time last year there were a dozen or so s13's for sale on donedeal, look today and you wont see one, and this has been the case for months. it also slowly happening 180sx but at a slower rate.
this wont happen to s14's because there are so many of them manufactured and they were were sold new in UK/IRL
it will however happen to s15's, if you think they are expensive then look at the price for a half decent AE86, madness for what they are.
its makes sense.....

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
The prices have come down alittle but if you think there are loads out there you are mistaken. Bet there is no more than 250 in England. And when there's 20million cars on the road it's a very small percentage!

Plus have you seen an S15, there isn't anything sexier in the price range! Even at 20k what's better lookin?!? In my view nothing!!

You cant compare S15's to S14's, as 14's are common and ugly hence the price! Simples.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Supply and demand,

if you look for an s15 you will probably find four on any sale site out of the four there is 1 decent one tastefully modded or mint condition. I was looking at S15s for nearly a year before i purchased one and lucky got a great deal.

I do sometimes think £10k on a 2001 plate car and think crazy!, but when my friend paid £10k for an R26 megane then 6months later was valued at and sold at £8.5k i feel better knowing i should still get close to £10k back :)

Reaction score
Its threads like this that help me justify spending close to 3k on a comprehensive respray to get my car back to mint condition.

Reaction score
Country
Depreciation can make a big difference. Considering how much my RX8 owed me when I sold it, I was more than happy to pay what I paid for my S15 knowing that resale would probably be close to what I paid years later. You could consider it an investment of sorts, the chances of really losing money on it are slim - unless you over pay for a crap one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I also think parts prices have a lot to do with it. When you compare new S14 parts to new S15 ones the difference is massive!! Aero bumper and headlights are a prime example!

Reaction score
Country
It's been said but have to say it again.
it's the best looking car around. Not to mention most of them don't have any rust :)
Having a 14a I know the biggest problem is rust.

Buy a spec s, cheaper, look for no rust, min time over here.
if it's not fast enough fit a DET

Or have both like me! :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I also think parts prices have a lot to do with it. When you compare new S14 parts to new S15 ones the difference is massive!! Aero bumper and headlights are a prime example!
Not if you buy from Japan rather than Nissan UK... The difference is the opposite then.

Reaction score
Country
i see where you guys are coming from really. just trying too really find a reason lol. i really do like the look of them. seen a really nice white one for sale on here, which iv fallen in love with, but just thinking can i really spend 10k, when there are newer cars out there for alot for you money

Reaction score
Prices are compariable to here in Australia and in some cases higher depending on milage and mods. We have literally thousands here so there is no shortage.

I think one of the driving factors in keeping the prices up is it was the last of the S chassis series and if an S16 was develped and sold the prices would nose dive.

When you think how many well priced rear wheel drive turbo powered sports coupes that have come onto the market in the last 12 years you understand why they are in demand and hold their value

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't have thought so, the S14 was sold there too??
Seriously? I ALWAYS bought my S15-specific parts from Japan. When it comes to non-Euro parts, Nissan Europe/UK always pulled some crazy price out of the air that bore no relation to reality. I saved a fortune on parts. Standard easily accessible parts too. Although the prices aren't as advantageous as they were since the value of the Yen died, prices are still good if you order several items. Nissan OEM Parts Suppliers (Japan).

I do agree though that the Aero bumpers are expensive. However, you get a proper colour-coded plastic bumper, not a piece a crap FPR rubbish that will fall-apart when if you sneeze too heavily...

CMR

Reaction score
Country
i see where you guys are coming from really. just trying too really find a reason lol. i really do like the look of them. seen a really nice white one for sale on here, which iv fallen in love with, but just thinking can i really spend 10k, when there are newer cars out there for alot for you money
To be honest, there are always going to be newer cars for less money when you are looking at the cost of imports. If you can't afford one don't buy one.
Rarer cars attract a bigger premium, R34 GTR has gone up in price since say 2008, the R33 GTR has dropped in price due to massive supply. Same with the S14 and S15.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
You can add Mkiv supra's to the older jap RWD class as well, a decent twin turbo RZ version that is older that the S15 can go for more than 10k.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
But the downsides is (well to me) I am scared ****less driving it, not cause i will crash it but cause of other road users. Also soon as i see a salt spreading lorry I cry and try to avoid it even if it means driving on the footpath.

I would buy an S16 brand new if it drove, looked and felt how the S15 does. Just hope Nissan Bring one out to compete with GT86.

Reaction score
Country
If you're trying to justify it, then you dont want one. Either buy one now, or admit your heart isn't in it and buy an Impreza for its 4wd winter fun...