What's new

Replaced my clutch tonight! What a bastard that gearbox is!!!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Just want to moan about how **** a job it is to do the clutch on a 6 speed! I stayed late after work, on my own, to replace my original unit with a ACT heavy duty organic clutch.

There is just no room at the top when the box is loose I was huffing and puffing for ages and getting so frustrated, even with the engine mounts undone intercooler pipes detached and front of the engine jacked up fully, it wasn't coming out! :annoyed:

The job would be sooooooooooo much simpler if the transmission tunnel was just 1-2inches bigger at the top. But instead you've got to rotate the box 120 degrees to the right and then wiggle it, then wiggle it, then wiggle it.........................then pop it's out. Getting it back in is just as fun! NOT! :cry::censored:

Anyway 2 1/2 hours after I started it was done and the clutch feels so much better! :thumbs: Coupled with my Nismo 2 way the car is ready for half a day Santa pod drift day!

Reaction score
Country
haha love the title Sam don't beat around the bush mate lol haven't done s15 clutch change but done quite a few diesels and still have night mares bout it now and try to forget it but after reading this thread its bringing it all back :cry:,,,,,,,:rotfl:, least its done now mate and working how you want it

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Ha yeah luke diesels are normally pretty crap, most FWD boxes and clutches are a right pain. ford mondeo's you have to remove the whole subframe! and focus ST's are just horrible, ive done 3 or 4 an it still takes me a whole day!

For £150 its defo worth it mate! Lol. I'm looking forward to your results Sam!

I reckon if I did it again I'd have it done in about 1 1/2 hours easy! First time round is just a learning processes.

Reaction score
Country
yep i always seem to get lumbered with the mk3 golf diesel boxs and i got a real hatred for em ive got a golf diesel my self and if or when the clutch goes so will the blood car lol, and 150 is a really good price will defo bare that in mind for my self, glad your sorted thou sam and would love to see your car in the flesh because i think it looks so pucker with the yellow on black really nice

Reaction score
It makes it easier if you undo the subframe bolts all the way and then re-tighten them half a turn, helps twist the enginge so it's lying back and gives you so much more room ;)