What's new

No longer a virgin........of drift

P

paulphot

I finally learnt some of that sliding sideways stuff today. We had a skid and drift day at a local driver training center. It took a bit to get my head around at first but once I got used to the violence of it all I started getting it sorted, even linked a couple of corners.........somehow........not really sure what happened.......just hung on for the ride. Going to give up the day job now..........I wish :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Best bit of advice i was given was to let go of the wheels then catch it once sideways :thumbs:

Good fun aint it :nod:

P

paulphot

I was always told to let the wheel go so it naurally comes back to centre but my instructor kept telling me to keep control of the wheel. I did it his way when he was in the car and my way when he wasn't. I prefered my way ;)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Do you still have the stock diff?

Did you find once sideways, you try to keep it drifting with more power etc, that the inside wheels spins and you cant maintain the drift?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Do you still have the stock diff?

Did you find once sideways, you try to keep it drifting with more power etc, that the inside wheels spins and you cant maintain the drift?
I only had this problem in first gear when going slowly.
never had a problem going sideways once I had some speed and was in second or third gear.

span around alot though, but that's just crap behind the sterring wheel :D

P

paulphot

Topper, still have the stock diff. I wasn't too sure what was going on but I was etting a fair bit of understeer when trying to link two corners......either that or massive oversteer and I would back off. It was only a small track and I didn't want to break anything. Aparently the S15 diff can be firmed up a bit by using a second washer in the diff somehow, I read it in a magazine recently, I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
:thumbs:

Since the drift day i did i have changed the Diff oil, which seems to have made a difference :nod:

S

S15_silvia_

sorry to change the suject a little guys but while we are on the subject of driftin and that whats the s15 like at putting the power down with 300bhp like...do u get loads of wheel spin??i went in a 320bhp mr2 on sat with a motec ecu and a few other bits and that wasnt too bad about what i expected really?

cheers

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It depends what else has been done to get 300. If you've still got the original alloys, tyres and suspension setup, not terribly good - especially in the wet. Stick some DECENT wide tyres on and sort the suspension and they stick like glue - except in the wet. If you are talking about drag :ghey: , you will never get fast take-offs without traction control. That's RWD for you :)

P

paulphot

Well I've only got 130kw at the treads and was on a damp skidpan in first gear as I am just learning. And it was very happy to wheelspin and oversteer like crazy. 300Hp would be pretty good for the dry I reckon, at the end of the day I was looking for the dryer lines to get more grip.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ah you were on a damp track, you wont get the one wheel spinning trick to happen then :no:, in the dry it aint so easy to keep it sideways, the diff dont like it

P

paulphot

Nicely, that's right, 130rwkw. And it was a learn to drift day so they started with a fully wet skid pan so we could get used to front end sliding out and then back end. As we started getting the hang of we were looking for the dry, grippy lines but it was still damp.

S

S15_silvia_

the 200sx and these struggle a bit to get the power down but when i do get mine i will get some nice wide wheels and coilovers and then comes the other bits..how hard are they to get to 300bhp..oh and by the way im not sayin 300bhp@ the wheels im sayin @ the fly.

1.full exhaust-inc de-cat etc
2.a better manifold..stock turbo is good for 300bhp at the fly?
3.i want to get a motec ecu for mine..but a good ecu
4.suitable fuelin mods i.e better fuel pump etc
5.bigger injectors??

my brain wont work lol..am i forgetin any thing or would that be ok and safe to run 300bhp @ the fly with these mods

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
S15_silvia_ said:
the 200sx and these struggle a bit to get the power down but when i do get mine i will get some nice wide wheels and coilovers and then comes the other bits..how hard are they to get to 300bhp..oh and by the way im not sayin 300bhp@ the wheels im sayin @ the fly.

5.bigger injectors??

my brain wont work lol..am i forgetin any thing or would that be ok and safe to run 300bhp @ the fly with these mods
Full exhaust, colder spark-plugs, fuel-pump, FMIC, pod-filter, up boost to 0.8Bar.

That should land you in the area of 290-300hp@fly on a JDM S15.
A remap with that and you can boost 1.1-1.2Bar.
Should see about 310-330hp. This will probobly be the limit of the stock injectors, AFM and turbo.

S

S15_silvia_

Yakozan said:
S15_silvia_ said:

5.bigger injectors??

Full exhaust, colder spark-plugs, fuel-pump, FMIC, pod-filter, up boost to 0.8Bar.

That should land you in the area of 290-300hp@fly on a JDM S15.
A remap with that and you can boost 1.1-1.2Bar.
Should see about 310-330hp. This will probobly be the limit of the stock injectors, AFM and turbo.

thanks..there very easy to extract extra power from..better then i thought.

i know sr20det's are well tuneable but i thought i might of needed more..i think i'll do what i put down and a few extra bit to make it really safe as i'll be keepin the car a long time..thanks again :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The most important thing to remember is that these aren't Euro spec 200SXs (S14s). They are JDM with ECUs mapped for 100RON fuel. You can't just up the boost without sorting a new fuelling map - either by a piggy-back ECU, replacement ECU or custom chip. Up the boost over 0.8 bar and they'll start detting. And that's running 97/98RON...

S

S15_silvia_

ow your stuff m8!!!thanks for the info..i think ive a buyer for my car!!!!so s15 here i come!!(fingers crossed lol)