Arse. That'll be the gearbox then...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Looks as thought the counter gear shaft bearing has probably gone in the gearbox :( This may well have be caused by the 'S15 6MT weakness' - the 3rd/4th counter gear circlip.

Anyway, sounds like a bag of spanners in all but 5th and is quite difficult to select 1st and 3rd and sounds terrible in reverse. Needless to say, I'm no longer driving it :no:

Lucky I bought that 20k Km 6MT back in July, huh? :D

Not sure I'll have time to do the counter gear strengthening exercise I had planned now... I'll have to see.

Anyone know a decent flywheel/clutch combo? Drivable, so no paddle clutches... :no:

S

S15_silvia_

oh no!!!

good job you got that other gear box...hope your back on the road soon! :thumbs:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Its not the clutch thats gone. Its still standard.
i was just wondering if the gearbox failure could have something to do with uprated clutches.
But if you were running the standard clutch I'll think twice about upping the boost and remap.

Might concentrate on looks and suspension before going with more power.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Thing is, if its the circlip, it could just as equally NOT happen, or it could be something else. I know the same bearings have gone on S14s and S13s...

K

kieran

unlucky nicley :( good job about the spare though :thumbs:

i read into the circlip failure and really seems 50/50 wether you have a box that fails or not, so far, ive been lucky with some hard driving and a few track days and now near 75k on the clock all seems well.................damn it where the wood to touch ;)

i really like the 6 speed but i think if it failed id just go down to a s14 box for the easy of replacement unless there was a 6 speeder floating around the uk at the time :thumbs:

good oppertunity to get a good clutch in though nicely :thumbs:

S

S15R

Yakozan said:
Nicely said:
Its not the clutch thats gone. Its still standard.
i was just wondering if the gearbox failure could have something to do with uprated clutches.
But if you were running the standard clutch I'll think twice about upping the boost and remap.

Might concentrate on looks and suspension before going with more power.
yes, if you change any uprated clutches the gearbox is mostly likely to break whereas the stock dual mass reduces torque impacts and its cheap :D will handle 200rwkw+ fine

nismo coppermix is a good choice for upgrading too :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
So, you reckon a Nismo Super Coppermix with the standard flywheel then, Hunter? Drivetrains aren't my strong point, so experience based advice is welcome. :)

D

Derek

Nicely i have the ATS Carbon clutch very good for everyday driving but you know its strong. Shakes the shit out of the car.

Its twin plate and came with Lightened fly.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Not another one :cry:

I recorded a sound from mine yesterday, when sitting still with the clutch in, all is well, with the clutch out i get a bit of a grinding noise :( Will try uplaod it soon.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine does it with the clutch out and in all but 5th. 5th is the 1:1 gear and, therefore, doesn't use the counter gear shaft...

Bum. Hopefully its just noisy... :(

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Uploaded the sound to my comp but you cant really hear it :no:

I cant hear it while moving, its only when stopped with engine running, in neutral and clutch released. Makes i faint but noticable rubbing noise.......... is mine of its way out? If it does go, cant it be repaired? I.e. can you get parts for it?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If its only making noise at idle, it could be a number of things. Sure, you can get it rebuilt and you can get spare parts, but it could be pricey :( Probably best to get it checked out now, just in case something goes and starts rattling crap around in the box - like mine.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
How do you check it?

As for the re-build, a mate of mine has re-built a few gearboxes in his time (as a carear) so cost woul be limited to parts & some beers tokens :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, parts would be reasonable if ordered via Perfectrun.

Think you'd need to go to someone who knows what they're looking for to get the clutch/box checked over. It could just be a release bearing...