Arse. That'll be the gearbox then...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Could be a switch for the rear foglight.
The S15 does't have a rear foglight from factory. So the ESVA companies fit one and the switch could be mounted anywhere.
Alot of people seem to have the switch to the right of the steering column. However I have my switch by the handbrake lever.

Reaction score
Yakozan said:
Could be a switch for the rear foglight.
The S15 does't have a rear foglight from factory. So the ESVA companies fit one and the switch could be mounted anywhere.
Alot of people seem to have the switch to the right of the steering column. However I have my switch by the handbrake lever.
??????

Reaction score
Sounds like your box has decided to munch itself like my box just did :(

Bit of background on my car/box...

Car has 115,000klms on the clock, of which about 90,000klms has been over 190rwkw.
Car gets driven hard all the time, goes on regular trackdays and too the drags every now and then. So getting about 115,000klms out it is pretty good i reckon!!!!

For about the last 1-2 years the car has been popping out of 4th gear when under load, and it gets a bit bumpy. On the track it was extremely annoying and when on a spirited drive through some twisties, it got a bit dangerous when it would pop out of gear.

It was just an annoying little thing, untill on day it started to make a terrible rattling noise in every gear. Sounded like just a really really really loose box. I had the box ripped out, and inspected and what had happened was the under the 4th gear circlip is a washer which the cirlip holds in place. This apparently moved and the shaft (layshaft or counter shaft... can't remember which one) decided to move. This explained the excessive movement of the gear stick when giving it a bootfull and why it popped out of 4th gear when under load. Now with the shaft slightly off center, it wore about 5-6mm off the teeth of 1 gear, i think its 4th gear they said, and damaged 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and the reverse idlergear. Also damaged some bearings and synchros.

I am rebuilding the box back to stock so that i know it will be 100% and it will buy me a couple of months while i save for a full Nismo 6 speed gearbox or a full HPI 6 speed gearbox, the HPI one is my preference.

Reaction score
how reliable are the nismo and hpi boxes? are any of them prone to the same problem? I would think that the design would be the same and the gears would be uprated and shotpeened for strength but what else makes these boxes more reliable?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's nothing wrong with the strength of the standard gears. As stated, the problem lies with the 3rd/4th Counter Gear circlip/washer. Getting that weakness rectified would cost a lot less than a new Nismo or HPI box - so long as it was done BEFORE it goes, and even then it would probably be cheaper to rebuild.

Reaction score
ok but my question is, is the weakness that the stock box is prone too also in the hpi or nismo box?

Reaction score
not sure on what exactly they do about 4th gear in the Nismo and HPI boxes, but the Nismo one is rated to about 360ps and the HPI box to about 420ps from memory, so the HPI box is going to suit my future power plans just fine...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Just bringing this up again, what power are you guys that have broken boxes running?

From i can see your all high(ish) power guys, thinking of remap and upping boost to 1bar for regular and 1.2 for fun, but i may stick to 0.8bar and 1bar for fun if there is a risk fo the box going.