Arse. That'll be the gearbox then...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The only hint I had may have been the gearbox making a noise a few days before. Basically, if it comes off the shaft is going to go out straight away...

Reaction score
Nicely said:
The only hint I had may have been the gearbox making a noise a few days before. Basically, if it comes off the shaft is going to go out straight away...
if it comes off does it still drive.3rd doesnt feel good.can heara noise in 1'st second and third.4th up seems to be ok

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That doesn't sound good :( 4th/5th will be quieter because they are nearly 1:1 and won't be using the counter gearshaft. If its gone, driving it will cause damage.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Certainly needs further investigation :( If its like mine, then a rebuild or replacement :nod: If you get it rebuilt, I can tell you exactly the bit that needs strengthening to leave you with a much stronger box.

Reaction score
Is there any preventative maintenance which can be done to prevent this problem?

It all seems to be caused by that circlip? :confused:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The info I have is that its a 50/50 thing, depending on driving style and power. And, yes, its a single circlip apparently. The box can be strengthened by removing the 3rd/4th counter gear, getting a new, tighter, groove machined and a tight circlip.

According to Brad (used to by on here, but on NS.com) the 6MT box is much better quality than the 5MT. He saw the internals of both boxes and said there was no doubt about the quality difference. Its just that fooking ciclip...

I've sold my old box on to someone who is going to rebuild it, so I'll ask him to take photos and get his opinion on it.

Reaction score
Nicely said:
The info I have is that its a 50/50 thing, depending on driving style and power. And, yes, its a single circlip apparently. The box can be strengthened by removing the 3rd/4th counter gear, getting a new, tighter, groove machined and a tight circlip.

According to Brad (used to by on here, but on NS.com) the 6MT box is much better quality than the 5MT. He saw the internals of both boxes and said there was no doubt about the quality difference. Its just that fooking ciclip...

I've sold my old box on to someone who is going to rebuild it, so I'll ask him to take photos and get his opinion on it.

so the clip would cause it to make the bearing noise or is that an extra :( had a ring round and a place called dp motorsport can do it.they did my cousins evo and its fine.duno if youve heard of them

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The thing is, that the clip is holding the counter gears together... Wasn't DP Motorsport where Meddy got the car RRd? Might be thinking of somewhere else...

Chris: I've forgotten something haven't I? :eek: Did I say that? If I did, I think it was whilst the box wasn't rattling cogs around inside...

Reaction score
Nicely said:
The thing is, that the clip is holding the counter gears together... Wasn't DP Motorsport where Meddy got the car RRd? Might be thinking of somewhere else...

Chris: I've forgotten something haven't I? :eek: Did I say that? If I did, I think it was whilst the box wasn't rattling cogs around inside...

would make it harder to select gears then.rc developments i think he had it done.guna have to come out anyway tmoro i think,looks easy