What's new

6 speed or 5 speed and why?

Reaction score
Country
This topic is not discuss why one is better than the other mechanically speaking, is just somewhat for me to try to understand why would anyone who is running under 380 bhp would want to switch to a 5 speed?!?! (i just love my new rebuilded 6 speed that's all:D). The reason i'm asking this is because i've heard all sort of things about it and would like to know you guys opinion (like i destroyed my 6 speed and 5 speed was the only thing available and such) Also, has anyone managed to run a 6 speed from a 350z on the s15? i know that mazworx was working on it and there is actually a video, but for some reason i cannot find any more info on that.

Reaction score
Country
iam with you mate why anyone would want anything other than a six speed box when running under 380hbp i don't no,,,,, unless its for realibilaty reasons as i hear the 6 speed box's are week, my cars prity standard and only got 20.000 ish miles on it but is not,,,, perfect i blip it in first and reverse to keep it smooth and 3rd can be a bit sticky sometimes

Reaction score
Most guy's I know who put in the S14 5 speed do it because they have smashed their 6 speed and for the price of a rebuild VS a second hand 5 speed, which bolts directly to the S15,the slightly stronger 5 speed is a quicker reliable option.

Reaction score
Country
hmmm i see.... what about for drifting? i've heard that 5 speed are more comfortable for drift than the 6 speed, is this a fact? also, how much does it cost to rebuild a 6 speed in, let say, aus?

Reaction score
Country
I have a 5-Speed in my S15 because the previous owners dropped a SR20DET from an S14 and used the tranny with it. I had a 6-Speed in my old IS200 and liked it, but since I don't drift or race (yet :)), I don't have a preference for either yet. I do have to occasionally remind myself that 5th is the final gear. I've caught myself almost trying to go to 6th a couple times ready.....

Reaction score
Country
haha gotcha, i started with the 5 speed because my SR20DET is from a s14a, but i managed to get a fair condition 6 speed and got it re-builded. 6 speed is just awesome! $1200 to rebuild is actually not that bad i think, at the end you'll be with almost a new tranny but compared to what you can get the 5 speed for, i can see why people will go for the later. What about 6 speed of the 350z?

Reaction score
It not a popular conversion due to its size, having to machine a modified bell housing and just getting it to fit ,in what is, a very small gearbox tunnel.

The most common six cylinder gearboxes are the Z32 and RB25 for conversions

subzero

Reaction score
wonder where all tis talk of 6sp boxes being chocolate ... i never heard of any one blowing one .... they only reason id go for a 5sp (but only if i had a traack s15) if i blew my 6 would be for ratios . but for a road car id stick with the 6sp all day long.